Herbicides that won’t kill my trees?

volsfan1976

So last year I planted 10apple trees, 2 pear trees, and 10 dunstan chestnut trees. In one area I planted 4 apples and 2 pears. I have been cleaning up around those because they were all planted in hardwood forest area. I have got the area cleaned pretty good but am getting a lot of weeds and stuff growing around them. Also inside my cages of my chestnuts. I want to spray something to kill the weeds and grasses but not hurt these trees. I'm just not sure what to use. I try to read labels but get very confused at times. Anyone got any suggestions. Thanks so much.

megalomaniac

Not sure I would use anything with them being so young at this point. Once the get a few years older, you can spray roundup around them as long as there isn't any wind drift.

24d in a few years, but don't get it under the drip line of the leaves just to be safe as it has a bit of soil residual.

Maybe someone else knows a safe herbicide for young trees...

volsfan1976

Ok so no go on the spraying. I do have weed fabric around them but still got weeds. I will just try to pull them. The ones that are the worse I just covered the fabric with gravel. I will go back and mulch around those. Thanks everybody.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
Over the top II grass killer won't kill your tree. It has the active ingredient of sethoxydim. I use glyphosate around most everything because it's usually cheaper. I made a small shield with a handle that I block the plant from overspray. Glyphosate won't kill them if it doesn't get on leaves or green bark. I even use it to spray around tomatoe plants too.

Last edited:

Chapman

I have one of these for spot spraying, it has a shield to direct the spray. Like others said, spray when there is no wind. The wand telescopes out. The sprayer is also good for spraying trees with Remedy + diesel mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts