help

Lucky

My millet looks awful on dove field. Have any of you guys burned off a field before? Obviously I will not do that with the current drought, but we have had more rain in the last week than all summer combined. If it is not a tinderbox I may do a very controlled burn. Can you drill wheat in a burned off field and expect a good crop? I dont know what it does to soil to burn off a field. Do you mow or bail the field before burning or just burn a field standing? Again, I feel confident I will not burn anything this year in light of the dry weather but I am curious in case I do this in the future. I have hunted over a burned off field in the past with excellent luck but it was not on my land and I did not do the work. Many articles preach that this is a good way to handle a dove field. Just curious if anyone knows

Darkthirty II

down east NC, thats how the majority of the farmers get rid of their wheat stubble. As soon as they cut their wheat, they burn it off, disk it and plant it. Why burn it if your just gonna do it to hunt it? IMO I would either mow/bale it or just simply run a disk over it. If the millet is right, as soon as the disk hits it, the millet will fall of the head. The disk will not give you as clean of a field as mowing it will be, but the effects will be the same. Maybe easier to find downed birds with mowing vs. lots of stubble from disking.

Lucky

Darkthirty II:

I think there is good evidence that burning off some fields is good before a hunt. I know I have read it before and I have hunted over burned off fields with good success. The problem with this millet field is that the millet will never be "good" and we will nefvfer be able to mow to get seed on the ground. The field is a total loss from drought. Having said that I think you are right that there is not much reason to burn and we will probably mow it low and drill wheat in hopes that some stays on top of ground. Maybe we can drill over several days. I don't know....we are desparate

Latest posts