Help me with this guy….

redblood

Not sure if he is on the list or not. Struggling with his age. Your opinion on age and spread.

Attachments

• 6F83F86D-F7BC-46D7-9CD6-F14FB9386E0C.png
    6F83F86D-F7BC-46D7-9CD6-F14FB9386E0C.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 097C5E14-4F0D-478B-A88B-1D47197CE625.png
    097C5E14-4F0D-478B-A88B-1D47197CE625.png
    464 KB · Views: 224

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I believe he's 4 1/2 or older (perhaps a lot older).

Outside spread is over 20", maybe 22".

Mass seems below what would expect for a mature buck,
but some just don't produce it.

Really need about 3 weeks and a lot more pics
for more accurate guesses.
I think he's mature - the longer legs are throwing me off a bit. I'm sure his maturity level will become more apparent in the next 2-3 weeks.
I am pretty much on the same page as these guys but there is a voice that says in all reality this could be a fat 3 1/2 yo with a lot of potential

agelessssone

I am pretty much on the same page as these guys but there is a voice that says in all reality this could be a fat 3 1/2 yo with a lot of potential
Bucks ears are normally 14" tip to tip. Looks like 5" on the right, 3" on the left so approximately 22" inside spread.
That's pretty darn wide!

TheLBLman

Totally agree.

I remember a few years ago seeing a "fat" buck we all thought was 4 1/2 (this time of year).
He was killed during early archery, scored @ 160.
Teeth said "tweener" between 2 1/2 & 3 1/2, so would say he was only 3 1/2,
and the very essence of which young bucks should be given a pass by those wanting large antlered mature bucks.

Most of us have a habit of killing off our best stock before they can mature,
while we let below average antlered bucks be the main ones surviving to maturity.
Then we wonder why "our" old bucks don't have larger antlers.

It's much easier to make an aging mistake this time of year, especially with only a couple of pic.

I still lean towards this particular buck being 4 1/2.
But if he were in my hunting area, I would give him a pass this year, unless I later thought he was likely 5 1/2 or older.

For me personally, it is mainly some combination of full maturity x antler MASS x antler uniqueness that defines the best "trophy" bucks. At present, this one has none of these, other than his width is above average (if you want to call that uniqueness). Most fully mature bucks will gain "mass" and start growing "sticker" (odd) points, making them more unique antlers.

TheLBLman

I'm going with a top-end 3 1/2. Front legs are still longer than his chest is deep.
You may very well be correct, but this remains but one factor, which may be misled by limited pics and the buck's pose in those pics.

I remember a few years ago, you posted multiple pics of buck that everyone agreed looked 2 1/2, but when he was killed as a 2 1/2, he turned out to be 4 1/2.

Field aging is just educated guessing :)

Latest posts