Help me out Guys

8up

First I live between Dover and Clarksville.

Ok My son came to spend a couple mounths with me for the summer. We have spent 3 weeks getting a boat ready and its within a couple days of hitting the water. I have about 5 weeks until he leaves maybe less. I live close to Barkley and have been on it very limited.

I need suggestions on how to optimize my fishing with what time we have left. We want to target Bass and cats or anything else that puts up a big fight.

I was raised in Michigan fishing shallow clear water lakes so this darker water and deep channel fishing is still kind of new to me.

Should I look at going somewhere besides Barkley?

Boat is a 16' deep V aluminum with 25hp and 12/24 56lb thrust trolling motor.

Thanks Any and Everyone

bowriter

R.I.P.
8up, I don't want you to feel ignored. I would help you if I could. I know jack about that area. Surely somebody in that area can steer you the right way.

go_okfishin

Probably a little too far to run in your boat but I would try below Cheatam Dam for stripers and catfish. There is a ramp on your side at the dam. Best to go w/ 1 generator EARLY in the morning. The stripers were up there about 2 weeks ago but I have not been in the last 2 weeks. There is always cats though. Jug fishin?

8up

Bowriter thanks, If I was around you I would have you show me how to catch a trout as I have never caught one.

Infoman thanks I will check out the fishing reports.

gookfishin thanks for the info I have never looked to see where Cheatam dam is but I will now, I have never caught a striper.

My fishing was mostly northern pike, walleye, and bass.

go_okfishin

Zoom white flukes , live shad, storm plastics and topwaters (if they are boiling which they usually do the first 30 minutes @ sunrise. The key is to determine if the baitfish are there. Usually you can see huge schools of baitfish in shallow water. I have also caught sauger, crappie, laregmouth, smallmouth and white bass there.

But be careful if you go. Dont anchor. Wear a PFD.

Physiksgeek

8up - First I would like to preface anything contained herein as being worth exactly what you have paid for it....:grin:

When you say that you live between Clarksville and Dover I am going to assume somewhere along or off of hwy79. I have not fished in quite a while from that side of the river but I used to put in at Dyer's Creek and go left at the river, back up under Dover Bridge to fish the head of the island there or go to the right in behind the Surrender House and the Elderly Home.

If you could get to a boat ramp on your side of the river that would not put you to far from the other side of Yellow Creek you could motor up towards Clarkville. There are some bluffs on the left side that I have had some luck in the past with catfish(maybe 1/4 mile from mouth of Yellow Creek). A 112 pounder was caught some time ago in this area. If you got more time go on down the river by boat as far as Palmyra Market on hwy149 there is probably three good floats you could make between there and the mouth of Yellow Creek and certainly would make for a day of fishing. I would not have much input after the bend in the river there where the two large culverts are on the right. Those culverts as the crow flies are straight across hwy149 from Palmyra Market. We jug fish and limb line from there to Yellow Creek and drift using skip jack on circle hooks.

Some links to county maps below may help. I know this is mostly about catfishing but the only bass I can catch is in the creeks....on minnows....crippled in one eye....starving...you get the point. Wish you luck!

Stewart County Map

Montgomery County Map

Latest posts