Help choosing

DoubleRidge

I'd way rather have a semi-auto than a revolver if a black bear was getting aggressive. You may not get all 15 rounds off, but you can sure pour on the fire. In 18 years of instructing LE shooters, mostly shooting Glocks, I hardly ever saw one fail to go boom. I'm talking over 200 thousand rounds. A revolver isn't a guarantee either. They have longer, heavier triggers and are way more complex than people think.

Again....I'm not "anti-auto"....I just refuse to not consider a double action revolver as a legitimate consideration when chosing a self defense weapon against man or bear...heavier trigger...no doubt...complex? Not sure I'd consider it more complex compared to an auto that can jam or experience mag or feeding issues?...I've said in previous post that I know I'm in the minority...and that's fine ...but if a bear is becoming aggressive I'd love to have a .357 S&W revolver that I'm familiar with and that has never...not "hardly ever"....but Never failed to go boom and has never jammed or failed me...my opinion is based off personal experience and experiences of those I've been close too over the years.
And again...I've had Glocks...fine handguns...and I currently have a Browning Hi-power I'm in love with....but I appreciate the dependability of the double action revolver in a variety of situations.

348Winchester

All mechanical devices are capable of failure. As a firearms instructor for five years, I saw self-loaders malfunction many, many more times than revolvers. I cannot recall a revolver failing in that time. I have only had glitches with revolvers that I own that were ammo related. As a gunsmith, I've seen el-cheapo revolvers like the Clerk First, RG, and lots of hinged frame revolvers that were junk and failed miserably. For new shooters a good revolver is a better choice. I have 40 years handgun experience and still choose a revolver most of the time although I own many autos and like them.

Swampster

I wouldn't either. I tried to pet two. They both ran away.
Generally true, but there are places along the Appalachian Trail, especially in the Smokies, where many bears have lost their fear of humans. 3M+ hikers on the trail, with many improperly handling and storing food, has caused some bears to associate people with food. You can imagine how much worse the National Park is with tourists intentionally feeding the bears to get a photo. Bears are by no means your top risk in the wild but are something to consider in some areas.

10mm4me

Hard Cast .45 Super is worth looking into as well. Specifically, when it is launched from an HK USP, 45, or 45C, which happen to be some of the only guns not requiring modification to shoot .45 Super.

Climber

I just went through this exact question as I spend a lot of time on the trails training and running. Four weeks ago I ran up on a sow with three cubs. Literally ran up on them when I rounded a corner and fortunately they were headed downhill and mom was in the lead. They scurried off and all was good but it got me thinking about how it could have turned out differently.

Ive ran up on bears a fair amount of times but this situation got in my head because they were so close and I went and bought a Glock 10mm. I researched a bunch of options and landed on the G29 as my best lightweight option. Carry it in a Hill People Gear chest pack. Hard cast bullet is necessary and it's fine if you clean it after practicing.

There have only been two people killed by bears in TN since 2000 but I don't plan on ever being #3!

DaveTN

DaveTN

This is a fascinating read if your curious about handgun defense during an attack.
That is pretty amazing. Of the 35 "pistol only" shootings, only one was a failure and that appears to be because the shooter did not hit the bear. It doesn't appear bears hold up any better than people do in a shooting.

I wouldn't want to be around bears with only a 9mm, but the four cases where 9mm was used, it did its job. 2 Grizzly's shot and went down dead, 1 fled and was found dead the next day. 1 bear (type not stated) shot during charge, ran off.

mike243

Hard cast for the most penetration caliber probably wont matter much, more shots more better lol. I miss the days when I could come out of the stand and lay down and take a nap , bears travel through here these days so naps are a thing of the past .

RockMcL

Question why not a Glock? May have to change recoil spring and guide if wanting to shoot the beast loads but other than that they hold up just fine
Glocks rifling system does not like cast bullets, even hard cast.

Black bear was the "threat" right?
IMO
If I am expecting bear trouble I want my 12 gauge pump with slugs. Next 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt in a Ruger or S&W would make me happy, unless I was looking for an excuse to buy a 10mm.

BullDawg Bill

I'm considering a 10mm now as well, I tried an S&W .500 Magnum with the 8+ inch barrel, shoots really nice but it's just to big to carry regularly. I also tried a .50 AE Desert Eagle, a bit easier to carry but still a lot of gun. I've seen negative comments above about both Glocks and Sigs, both of which I've had great experience with in other calibers. Anyone have a 10mm they absolutely love and highly recommend? If so, what make and model?

I also carry bear spray as another poster mentioned, I'd much rather dissuade the bear from attacking than have to kill it.

W4CCR

I'm considering a 10mm now as well, I tried an S&W .500 Magnum with the 8+ inch barrel, shoots really nice but it's just to big to carry regularly. I also tried a .50 AE Desert Eagle, a bit easier to carry but still a lot of gun. I've seen negative comments above about both Glocks and Sigs, both of which I've had great experience with in other calibers. Anyone have a 10mm they absolutely love and highly recommend? If so, what make and model?

I also carry bear spray as another poster mentioned, I'd much rather dissuade the bear from attacking than have to kill it.
Take a look at the Smith M&P10mm. They come in a 4 and 4.6 inch barrel, with and without a safety. They are pretty nice..

BullDawg Bill

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a Sig P320-Xten because that was the only 10mm pistol the gun store had, and I've had good luck with Sigs previously. Only time will tell.

Latest posts