Heart Shot Doe ran near 100 yards

DaveB

First time this has ever happened. Perfect heart shot on a great big ol' doe. She jumped, ran a good 50, fell, was up near instantly ran another 25, down, up, another 25 and hit a tree. Fell down, tried to get up, was running in place laying on her side and then she died. Very very little blood trail so i was glad I saw her running. Heart had the top shot off in a big way, liver was not hit, lungs were not hit. She was literally encased in Fat. All over. My Wife said she looked like a Crisco Deer. I got a pic I'll post up later. By far the biggest Doe I have ever shot-I could not pick her up by myself. Backstraps were huge.

I paced it off, 80 yards from where I was standing to a mess of hair on the ground. Off hand shot.

30/06 Browning A-Bolt
150 Accubond
60 grains IMR4350
average is right around 3000 FPS
R-P case
Fed 210M primer
Leupold VX2 3.5 x 10

Saw one chasing event. They would not hold still, silly deer.

catman529

Heart shots do that sometimes, at least it wasn't like my first bow kill where she was still alive 2 hours and 200 yards later and managed to jump off the bed and into the creek and drown... They are very tough animals and you can't blame the gun sometimes.

rem270

It's happened to me twice that i know of. Probably more than that. But the 2 i remember were perfect shoulder shots and both pass through. They never ran over 100 yards.

mr.big

my brother shot one with a mzl one time and made a real good shot,,drug it out and threw it in the back of the truck and it stood up on the way to check in station ,,had to go rambo on that one LOL,,since then I have never moved a deer before field dressing it,,

7mm08

UTGrad said:
Maybe you blew out the atria and the ventricles were able to pump some blood until she died.

We have a winner!!!!! If the ventricles ( major pumpers) are spared then this scenario is possible.

Barnes Ridge Rambler

I heart shot a buck on Thanksgiving with a .30 cal 180 grain at 220 yds. He ran over 50 yds before piling up. I have pics of the carnage if anyone wants to see ;-)

DaveB

Blew the top of the heart clean off, not much else damaged at all. You could actually look inside the heart. I got pics of the blood trail which did not start until after the first fall. She was encased in fat-never seen so much on a TN deer. When I walked up on her she was in a bad place to gut so I dragged her about 10 feet. There was nearly no blood on the ground. I split her open and it was like a swimming pool inside her. I backtracked her to get the blood trail, really surprised me she went so far. Tough old doe.

serriaman07

Is thoughts the new bullets Remington came out with if it is the the 150 grain bullets post to shot as fast as .243 if so the bullet may have not expanded enough I shot a small buck with the 180 core lokt and he ran about 45 yards with no exit hole but it put on hell of entering hole like the size of a baseball

Plateau Hunter

Heart shot deer often run a good ways-I have seen it several times. Sometimes I have had them run in a circle after being shot through the heart. If the atria are damaged the ventricles ain't pumping much blood-at least in general circulation.

Latest posts