Hawken Ramrod

rsimms

Anybody know a particularly good source for a ramrod? Old fiberglass rod I use with my Hawken is getting split ends pretty bad. I see a "universal" aluminum rod on the Thompson Center website. Just curious of any other sources for aluminum or fiberglass rods. I don't want wood. Had too many of those split or break on me.

I have a 29-inch, .54 caliber barrel.

Rancocas

Hickory has been good for me for many, many years. Only broke one. Sitting down in camp, laid the ramrod on the ground beside me. Stood up and walked away to answer nature's call. Came back and stepped on my ramrod!
In a rather remote camp in northern Michigan at the time. Made another ramrod on the spot out of a sapling. Crude, but it worked for the rest of the week until I went back home.

sun

Anybody know a particularly good source for a ramrod? Old fiberglass rod I use with my Hawken is getting split ends pretty bad. I see a "universal" aluminum rod on the Thompson Center website. Just curious of any other sources for aluminum or fiberglass rods. I don't want wood. Had too many of those split or break on me.

I have a 29-inch, .54 caliber barrel.
RMC Ox Yoke makes custom brass ramrods including for many models that are listed in the drop down menu.
They're very reasonably priced.

Brass ramrod product page including custom:

They also make black anodized aluminum ramrods in custom lengths, with models listed in a drop down menu.

The RMC ramrod product page:

Last edited:

sun

Excellent info! Thanks to all.

I like the idea of brass... but this description doesn't say if both ends are threaded or not to accept a palm saver. Does anybody know?

The black anodized aluminum does say it's tapped on both ends.

But this palm saver just slips on/off so I suppose I could go that route.

Any guidance there?
I've always used the Traditions wooden palm saver because it's flat on top but anyone can make their own with a simple drill bit.
The hole on the Traditions may be a little larger than necessary.
A wrap of masking tape may provide a better friction fit.
Anything can be used as a handle, some home improvement or craft stores may sell wooden balls, or drill a golf ball.
A range rod can use a threaded handle, but it's optional for a portable ramrod that fits under the barrel.

If you have a question about threading a rod just give RMC a call.
Maybe they will tap both ends for you if it's not a standard offering.
It doesn't hurt to have both ends tapped.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. Brass is not indestructible and can still bend.
But if you use a thick wooden dowel as a range rod, you can save wear and tear on the brass rod, and on your crown.
A thick dowel can be found at hardware stores or Lowes etc... for a couple/ few Dollars.
Get a much thicker one than the original, and use the brass when threaded accessories are needed or hunting.

Last edited:

dpmiller613

I have the aluminum rod that comes from TC for the Encore Pro Hunter and it works fine. Has a T handle, other end is threaded for a jag or whatever, that end is also cupped to ram a bullet home.

Latest posts