TC Hawken cracked stock

Lost Lake

Hi guys.

Anyone had this happen to them? I've heard that TC Hawken muzzleloaders suffered this problem quite a bit. I'm thinking I'll try to drill some holes and pin the stock. It's cracked on both sides, and after shooting it today, it looks like the cracks deepened.

If anyone has a fix for drilling and pinning I'd love to hear it.

Attachments

• 91BA867E-81B1-40EB-B568-FC7C014528A5.jpeg
    91BA867E-81B1-40EB-B568-FC7C014528A5.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 363

fairchaser

Years back, I had one crack and even though it was a kit, I sent it back and they put on a new stock for me for free. I still have it today.

Wobblyshot1

First I'd try to identify the reason for the crack. Maybe over tightening the lock screw...only needs to be snug...or binding of the lock screw during recoil. Wouldn't hurt drilling out the hole a tad for better clearance. Thin super glue will do fine worked in the crack and clamped. If you are having trouble getting the glue in the crack you can ever so gently pry in a hidden place to open it up to more readily recieve the glue. Wipe up any over flow before it sets. You might need a little acetone(nail polish)but go easy here as well to protect the finish. I've done this numerous times and the repair is invisible or nearly so....O yes, leave it clamped at least overnight for full cure of the super glue.

Lost Lake

Thanks ever so much for the responses gentlemen. I bought this from a member about a year and a half ago, and didn't notice the crack, and truthfully didn't know to look closely. I shot it a couple of times today and the cracks deepened badly on both sides.

I'll take some time with it, and in addition to filling and clamping the cracks, I'm considering drilling and using some small diameter brass pins to protect it as well

Again, thanks.

BuckWild

Contact Thompson Center Customer Service. They will replace it for free.

I ran over mine with my truck by accident. Called them to reorder one and they said they would replace it for free.

Still using it. Lifetime warranty no matter what the issue is.

FrontierGander

DO NOT SEND IT BACK!

TC can no longer supply replacement stocks. instead, they will cut you a $130 check and call it good, leaving you without a gun.

Colwell1505

Hi guys.

Anyone had this happen to them? I've heard that TC Hawken muzzleloaders suffered this problem quite a bit. I'm thinking I'll try to drill some holes and pin the stock. It's cracked on both sides, and after shooting it today, it looks like the cracks deepened.

If anyone has a fix for drilling and pinning I'd love to hear it.
That stinks hope you get it repaired

Lost Lake

Well, I super glued, and also pinned it from underneath, but it cracked again on the second shot. So I dug around in my pile of extra stuff and found another stock for a White Mountain carbine that fits it. It actually looks okay and shoots much better than before. I think the old stock had been flexing under recoil and throwing shots way off.

Thanks again for the advice!

Wobblyshot1

Lost Lake, it seems like I saw more pics that you posted somewhere else that showed more damage than I at first realized. I would have now approached the repair a little differently than with just super glue. Glad you had another stock to use.

Lost Lake

Lost Lake, it seems like I saw more pics that you posted somewhere else that showed more damage than I at first realized. I would have now approached the repair a little differently than with just super glue. Glad you had another stock to use.
No worries! I didn't realize how bad it was until I started filling the crack with super glue and it opened way more than I thought previously.

I figured drilling, and pinning with epoxy would be an extra safeguard, but no dice.

Either way, I've got a good functioning back up muzzleloader that's wearing a stock that I managed to repurpose and refinish. I'm happy.

Latest posts