Browning made Hawken mountain rifle-50.cal

Timiller

What can you guys tell me about a Browning made Hawken mountain rifle-50.cal.
Value? Any good? Any information will be appreciated.

Wobblyshot1

I remember the Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle which was Browning Arms' attempt to capture part of the growing muzzle loading market in the 1970/80s when many states began introducing ML deer hunting seasons. They were well made guns and more so of an exacting copy of a Hawken rifle than the Thompson Centers ever were. They were also pricier and a tad heavier too which is probably why you see way more TCs out there than the JBMR. IMHO I'd rate them as a very well made commercially produced rifle and depending on condition they would fetch maybe $300 to$800.... possibly be even more. There's a lot of info on them if you do a search. Below is a 1980 ad...

s-l500.jpg

Timiller

I remember the Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle which was Browning Arms' attempt to capture part of the growing muzzle loading market in the 1970/80s when many states began introducing ML deer hunting seasons. They were well made guns and more so of an exacting copy of a Hawken rifle than the Thompson Centers ever were. They were also pricier and a tad heavier too which is probably why you see way more TCs out there than the JBMR. IMHO I'd rate them as a very well made commercially produced rifle and depending on condition they would fetch maybe $300 to$800.... possibly be even more. There's a lot of info on them if you do a search. Below is a 1980 ad...

View attachment 159309
Awesome, Thanks

Kelljp

Recent estate auction I seen one with brass hardware bring $750 and one with iron hardware $800. Good looking rifle, noticed they were heavy 9 lb. Read lock spring is weak link.

Latest posts