Hawk update

newhunter

Well my redtail had a toe amputated and was out of commision for 3 weeks. Now I have him back and took him out yesterday after church and he didnt forget a thing. 2 minutes into it he was chasing a squirrel up and down a tree for 30 minutes before the squirrel made a mistake and my bird got him. I wasnt expecting him to get something more just to get him back in the woods. And I dont have any pics since I hadnt planned on a kill. Landon

CATCHDAWG

Keep it away from my chickens :grin:
Seriously, I've watched some guys do that before and it looked very fun. They were useing beagles to flush rabbits then the hawk would snatch them up. The rabbits that is...

newhunter

Kenbob, BTW? Not sure where that is but I was at Harrison Bay state park in Hamilton CO.
Catch were the guys you watched in Cleveland? There are a few up there that use dogs.

Also as for anyone wanting to get into falconry.... Take your time and go out with someone before seriously thinking about it. It is the most regulated sport of hunting and you have to have a state and federal permit as well as getting equipment inspected. But if you would like you can PM me, if you want to tag along and I will give you as much info as I can. Of course there is stuff I cant explain to non licensed individuals.

stillinscrubs

Love the reports. Growing up "My Side of the Mountain" was one of my favorite books.

Post more pictures.

Have you gotten any game besides squirrels?

Are turkeys legal game?

Scrubs

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Sorry to hear the squirrel bite got that bad, but glad to hear he is ok now.
Been wondering where your posts have been, never thought he had been out of commision.

newhunter

Yea ruger he had a nice vacation, but it was nuts for me because it seemed like a year haha.

Have gotten a few rabbit with my previous bird but only squirrels with this one. And you only hunt small game and waterfowl with them. But I have seen a redtail take a squirrel on a group hunt one time by accident

KENBOB10

newhunter said:
Kenbob, BTW? Not sure where that is but I was at Harrison Bay state park in Hamilton CO.
Catch were the guys you watched in Cleveland? There are a few up there that use dogs.

Also as for anyone wanting to get into falconry.... Take your time and go out with someone before seriously thinking about it. It is the most regulated sport of hunting and you have to have a state and federal permit as well as getting equipment inspected. But if you would like you can PM me, if you want to tag along and I will give you as much info as I can. Of course there is stuff I cant explain to non licensed individuals.

Newhunter, Booker T. Washington State Park. It's about 5 miles from Harrison Bay. My son's a ranger down there and he said a dude was there the other day with his hawk. He said the crows were giving it a fit that day.

newhunter

Oh ok no that wasnt me but he is a friend of mine. He said your son took him in places he didnt want to go haha. Too steep for his liking. Whos your son? I may try there soon, I walked the whole place at Harrison bay and not a squirrel but they are propably denned up. I had another hawk today take a shot at my bird.

Latest posts