Have some questions

Ladys man

So this morning finally found some gobblers, had 3-4 sounding off together, they were pretty far down the ridge.

How do I no if I've gotten close enough? Time just to get use of the distance of gobbles?

If they are in a group is it a good thing or bad.

Once they flew down (I'm assuming) they pretty much got quite working there way down the ridge to the lake. Would only gobble every now and then and kept getting farther away. And they would not answer any of my calls, I didn't over call and would use different once trying to get a response.

So should I of tried to flank them or just head straight to them and try to wait?

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
I've been chasing the same bird most of the morning. His last gobble came from a spit I had called from earlier haha. Crazy birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I'd say that several birds gobbling together might work to your advantage. They may get in a race to get to you first.... unless they're with hens. That's probably what lead them away from you. As far as going to the gobbling get as close as you can as fast as you can without being seen. If they go silent sit and wait it out for a while because they may be headed your way. If they consistently gobble going away try circling them and cutting them off.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Ladys man":ezwr5t5n said:
poorhunter":ezwr5t5n said:
Hang around and wait. One of them may fire up at any moment and the game will be on.

Do they normally roost together? What doesn't that mean?

It is not at all uncommon for several to roost together each night.

Ladys man

Mike Belt":dbizn9cd said:
I'd say that several birds gobbling together might work to your advantage. They may get in a race to get to you first.... unless they're with hens. That's probably what lead them away from you. As far as going to the gobbling get as close as you can as fast as you can without being seen. If they go silent sit and wait it out for a while because they may be headed your way. If they consistently gobble going away try circling them and cutting them off.

Will it just take time to learn how far a gobble will carry? I first heard them and sound 250-300 yds away so I set up gave a couple yelps. And when They sounded off again still thought I could gain ground( still fairly dark but light was out) so I gained about 25 yds and they sounded off again and seemed they had doubled the distance.

Boll Weevil

Just stick with them man; let em tell you what they want regarding calling. Don't booger them by getting too close and remember if he has hens you're dealing with multiple sets of eyes through bare woods and they'll pick you off. Follow them, keep in contact, and wait on the hens to go lay leaving tommy vulnerable.

When I was a kid my turkey hunting mentor told me, "The difference between being not close enough and too close is exactly 1 step." Don't push it; err on the side of 1 step short as opposed 1 step too far.

REN

Ladys man":1oo8qo2v said:
Mike Belt":1oo8qo2v said:

Will it just take time to learn how far a gobble will carry? I first heard them and sound 250-300 yds away so I set up gave a couple yelps. And when They sounded off again still thought I could gain ground( still fairly dark but light was out) so I gained about 25 yds and they sounded off again and seemed they had doubled the distance.

You will learn the difference of a gobble while facing you vs facing the other way. When they are facing away from you it can sound like they are farther then they are. Also when the leaves come in that too will make them sound farther away.

fairchaser

Turkey hunting is a long game of cat and mouse. Try to get in that bird brain of his and figure out what he's thinking. As long as you don't spook the turkey your still in the game. If they are moving away he obviously has hens. Your gonna have to move and get into a better position. If you listen to his gobbles that will tell you a lot about him. Does he like your calling or ignoring you? etc. The best turkey hunters have learned how to read a gobbler and figure out where he wants to be.

Latest posts