Hats off to you KY lake guys….

Urban_Hunter

The spring before Hurricane Hugo hit SC, we were fishing bedding bass on Santee Cooper. Fishing was awesome for big fish and we were having such a great time, just didn't pay attention to how rough it was getting until it was time to head back to condo. That dang shallow lake looked like the Bearing Sea to me with swells much taller than we were in the boat. Was playing the Hot Foot game timing the swells to get up & over when a rouge wave came over the bow whie we were in bottom of swell. I saw the trolling motor disappear and instinct kicked in & I mashed the Hot Foot to the floor. We literally submarined the boat & came out the other side of wave! Boat was about 1/4 full of water & only thing we lost was a pack of cigarettes out of my buddies shirt pocket UNDER his life vest. God certainly was with us that day.
About lost my 201 Pro XL to waves rescuing some morons. Big storm was coming and we were night bassing before it hit. Wind started to pick up and could see lightning in the distance so we headed in. Around the bend at the ramp we could see about 50 first responder vehicles all lit up. Then I hear a lady screaming at the top of her lungs and there sits a woman and husband in a bow rider that is mostly submerged, I'm assuming just the flotation keeping it up. I swing around and pick up the lady but the man is insistent I tow him in. Neither had a life jacket. I throw him a life jacket, get one on the lady who is now crying hysterically, and tow him in. Storm is now raging. As I get to the ramp, the waves are coming over the dock by a good 12" as they get people in the water to grab their boat as I swing it by and untie it. My buddy jumps in to get the truck but the parking lot is jammed. I idle into the wind for about 15mins with every wave coming over the front of the boat. I finally end up having to make a loop screaming at the responders to clear the ramp. When I trailered it, waves were coming over the back of the boat all the way to the seats and it had started running rough. There was so much water in the boat that it was over the fuel tank and had contaminated the gas through a leaky sending unit. I was seconds from stalling and not being able to restart. The morons had just picked their boat up from the mechanic and wanted to try it before dark. Top hose came off the block and the water pump filled up the boat in seconds.

Crow Terminator

I have never been on it in a boat; just crossed it by bridge. I can definitely see where the wind would play a huge role in it though. Chickamauga and Watts Bar are overall much more narrow and usually only get rough from boat traffic.

But speaking of low water. Yesterday was beautiful and it brought out one of those "boom boom" wake boats. I will say the guy driving it, had a wonderful taste in beautiful bikini women but they all had a horrible taste in music. They kept coming closer and closer to me as I was fishing this long shallow point where a creek comes into the main river. Just a few days ago the point was out of the water and extended for about 100 yards. I was fishing the drop off and stumps. Boom boom boat kept getting closer and I don't know if they were trying to get me to look at the girls or just being a pest. The river channel is wide open behind me, 20 foot deep. They decided to attempt to make a circle around me in the shallowest part of the whole area. The whole time their music is blaring F this..F that...N word this...blah blah blah. Well here they came across in front of me. Which brought them right across that shallow bar that at the place they crossed, was in approx 6 inches of water. Maybe less. The inevitable happens. They get beached. And beached good. He tried getting it unstuck with the engine but it wasn't going anywhere and they had obviously been drinking or smoking something too. Part of me wanted to help. The other part of me said...they were probably trying to mess my fishing up on purpose and didn't plan on getting stuck. 🙃 So I stowed my gear, fired up the motor and left them sitting there.

Urban_Hunter

I have never been on it in a boat; just crossed it by bridge. I can definitely see where the wind would play a huge role in it though. Chickamauga and Watts Bar are overall much more narrow and usually only get rough from boat traffic.

But speaking of low water. Yesterday was beautiful and it brought out one of those "boom boom" wake boats. I will say the guy driving it, had a wonderful taste in beautiful bikini women but they all had a horrible taste in music. They kept coming closer and closer to me as I was fishing this long shallow point where a creek comes into the main river. Just a few days ago the point was out of the water and extended for about 100 yards. I was fishing the drop off and stumps. Boom boom boat kept getting closer and I don't know if they were trying to get me to look at the girls or just being a pest. The river channel is wide open behind me, 20 foot deep. They decided to attempt to make a circle around me in the shallowest part of the whole area. The whole time their music is blaring F this..F that...N word this...blah blah blah. Well here they came across in front of me. Which brought them right across that shallow bar that at the place they crossed, was in approx 6 inches of water. Maybe less. The inevitable happens. They get beached. And beached good. He tried getting it unstuck with the engine but it wasn't going anywhere and they had obviously been drinking or smoking something too. Part of me wanted to help. The other part of me said...they were probably trying to mess my fishing up on purpose and didn't plan on getting stuck. 🙃 So I stowed my gear, fired up the motor and left them sitting there.
Epic win

East TN Bowhunter

whites dont stay shallow long. a couple of weeks and they are back out in deeper water. blacks will stay shallow up until about june.

kind of crazy ive caught blacks on one side of a creek and on the other side would be all whites.
I've done the same thing on Douglas before. In the creek channel in 15-25FT of water I caught huge big white crappie full of eggs and 50ft away up on the bank I was catching nice sized black crappie that were colored up. This was right in the middle of the spawn a couple years ago.

Lt.Dan

I need to go to this lake, just to see the waves in action on a stormy day. I've never been on this lake but have been on some other lakes with big waves. It's an awesome sight and force of nature. To all those who have been caught out in it, glad you all came back.

KTS

I lived on Kentucky lake for 18 years, within a half mile of Paris Landing State Park and marina. Just south of the bridge where Big Sandy joins the Tennessee River is the widest part of the lake. I have fished that area a lot and can only say one thing, it can get rough.

TheLBLman

I need to go to this lake, just to see the waves in action on a stormy day.
I believe Kentucky Lake holds the title as the largest man-made lake east of the Mississippi River.
Roughly half in TN & half in KY.
Roughly 180 miles long (Pickwick Dam to KY Dam).

And only "natural" lakes larger are the Great Lakes and Lake Okeechobee in Florida.

Also am thinking KY Lake has more shoreline than Lake Superior.

WTM

Oh my. Hope u make it!

yep. another storm come thru so i decided to wade fish. caught about two dozen most shorts and the rest a smidge over 10. very healthy fish.

doesnt matter, its good medicine for a heavy mind.

IMG_1827.jpeg

Latest posts