Harriest predicament you've ever found yourself in while in the woods?

UCStandSitter

Gators and snakes were never an issue for me. When the state opened gator season the limit was 15 so I got used to handling them and many were 10 ft plus.It wasnt unusual to catch smaller gators while bass fishing with top water lures. You could land em up to about 4ft. Anything bigger and you lost your lure. The glades was a special place. I have had bears scent trail me where i had dragged a buck to the 4 wheeler. Had a panther at 30 yards watch me carrying a buck on my shoulders. It just sat there watching me, never moved. Never had a run in with a python down there and now never will. Good times great memories.
Nope. Big ol bag of nope. I don't even enjoy the snakes we have around here. Couldn't deal with it. I ain't scared of much in this life after all I've been through but, I'm not ashamed to admit I don't like a snakey snake.

Ski

Nope. Big ol bag of nope. I don't even enjoy the snakes we have around here. Couldn't deal with it. I ain't scared of much in this life after all I've been through but, I'm not ashamed to admit I don't like a snakey snake.

That's how I feel about spiders. I know them well and can quickly identify dangerous ones from harmless, but they all creep me out. Snakes on the other hand don't bother me much at all. I was dove hunting in NM and accidentally stepped on a pair of mating rattlers. They lit up their tails and if I didn't leave the stratosphere, I had to be close! I felt like I had rockets on my boots like Ironman. The sound of those rattles are unmistakable. Once I was a safe distance and realized I hadn't been bit, I looked closer to see my boot print crossed both snakes. My fat @$$ literally stepped on them and neither one struck at me. They just rattled to get me away from them. I nodded my hat to the man upstairs and went about my business. Had that been spiders I'd probably have fainted with a heart attack.

UCStandSitter

That's how I feel about spiders. I know them well and can quickly identify dangerous ones from harmless, but they all creep me out. Snakes on the other hand don't bother me much at all. I was dove hunting in NM and accidentally stepped on a pair of mating rattlers. They lit up their tails and if I didn't leave the stratosphere, I had to be close! I felt like I had rockets on my boots like Ironman. The sound of those rattles are unmistakable. Once I was a safe distance and realized I hadn't been bit, I looked closer to see my boot print crossed both snakes. My fat @$$ literally stepped on them and neither one struck at me. They just rattled to get me away from them. I nodded my hat to the man upstairs and went about my business. Had that been spiders I'd probably have fainted with a heart attack.
Am the opposite. Don't mind spiders so much. I don't dump a sack of em in bed with me but, don't get spun up about em either. Snakes though... Stepped on a large black snake barefoot as a young kid. Shook me to my bones. Had a thing about em ever since.

Ski

Stepped on a large black snake barefoot as a young kid. Shook me to my bones. Had a thing about em ever since.

Interesting how childhood trauma affects us throughout life. One my earliest memories is sitting in a high chair as my dad was forcing me to eat my peas. I threw up and have never once been able to stomach peas ever since. I can't remember anything much anymore of life before grammar school, but I remember that as if it happened yesterday.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Mine are pretty tame compared to some here. Got chased up a tree by a boar once, after he dropped off a ridge looking for me.

Got stuck in my tree stand with the onset of hypothermia once, and almost just sat down on my stand platform and went to sleep after having difficulty working my hands and figuring how to descend the tree. It was way more serious than I thought at the time. Took a few days to get over.

Got lost at LBL as a late teenager, hunting by myself in a light rain. No compass or gear other than my bow. Stayed lost from an hour after first light til an hour after dark. Finally stumbled onto the Trace and a gentleman was nice enough to give my drenched person a ride to my truck a few miles away.

I survived some stupidity on my part, and learned some valua

you win for possibly the "harriest predicament"

Coming from south Florida I hunted where there were a lot of gators. I have stepped square on the back of 2 of them. Both of them knocked me down but thankfully blew out of the shallow ditch into deeper water. Another time I was wading back to my 4wheeler on a trail I had made through the sawgrass the week before. I came to a wide spot in the trai that i didnt remember being there. It was just light enough that i wasnt using my light but dark enough that i couldnt see into the water. I sidestepped to go around the wide spot and just as I did an 8footer blew up out of that hole. All i remember was the white of that big wide open mouth and me screaming as he hit me on the back of my right calf. He was just far enough from me when he launched to allow me to twist around and it threw his aim off. I fell down somehow with the gator between my feet pushing myself backward just as he struck at me again. I guess he realized i wasnt the meal that he was expecting and backed back into his hole. I got back to my feet and fished my old Knight muzzleloader out of the water. It was about 18 inches deep outside that hole and i wasnt sure it would even fire but i was pissed. i grabbed my light and shined it into the water saw the gator and let it rip. The gun actually went off and the gator blasted out of the hole and was gone. Water was pretty deep in that hole and not sure if I even hurt him but it made me feel better. I was soaked from being in the water and adrenaline was pumping so i wasnt sure if or how bad I was hurt. Walking back to my bike my leg began to hurt a little but I wasnt stopping till i got back there. When I did i found out he had got the back of my pant leg slashed it, ripped my rubber boots and about a a 5 inch gash in the back of my calf.Thankfully it wasnt deep enough for stitches and my buddies patched me up at camp. Too close for comfort.
This brings back Memories of hunting ,fishing, playing in the Swamps in La. Fishing one time and had a stringer full of Bream and Crappie. Got ready to take the boat out and the stringer was gone. It was a metal snap fish stringer maybe a couple of doz. fish. Never heard or saw a thing. Out Frog gigging in a canoe one night and something smacked the water right beside us real loud and hard . Just about come out of the boat. Big old beaver was probably laughing he scared me so bad.

utvolsfan77

You guys are cracking me up with these stories! They actually reminded me of a few incidents of my own that I had totally forgotten about. I'll try to give you folks the short version of probably my most memorable one.

It happened in 1984 while I was stationed at Fort Knox, Kentucky shortly before my first tour of duty in Germany. While I was on leave before departing for Germany, my younger brother and I decided to bow hunt Fort Campbell during October 1984. Back then they allowed you to bow hunt the two patches of woods between the Air Assault School obstacle course and the small arms ranges on Mabry Road. At that time, I had one of the first commercially available climbing tree stands on the market, an early Baker kit that you had to add your own plywood base to. I also had the hand climber that was sold separately from the foot platform, and it could double as a makeshift seat.

Now, to fully appreciate the gravity (pun intended) of the situation I later found myself in, all of you younger fellows need to understand that 40 years ago, commercially made tree stands were just beginning to appear on the market. They were such a new concept that no manufacturer had yet accumulated the experience necessary to know to attach a tether between the foot platform and the upper seat section (or hand climber) of climbing tree stands. Nor were commercially manufactured safety harnesses yet available as they are now. Even crude waist belts long enough to attach to a tree didn't begin appearing in most areas until the early 1990s. In other words, tree stand hunting 40 years ago was relatively dangerous and was nowhere near as safe as it is today. In hindsight, it is truly amazing that there weren't even more injuries and deaths than there actually were from tree stand accidents back then.

I can already hear the older guys in this group laughing because they already KNOW where this is going and what happened to me that day! I picked a fairly limbless tree and climbed up about 23-25 feet and got settled in. It was a really warm afternoon and for several hours the only movement was from multiple squadrons of mosquitoes the size of 747s. About an hour before dark, I heard movement behind me and turned around to look behind the tree. Excited with the possibility of seeing a deer, when I turned, my weight shifted, putting pressure on the foot platform closest to the tree trunk which caused it to slip and fall down the tree. Now here I was 25 feet up a tree clinging to that hand climber for dear life and wondering how I was going to get down out of that tree without falling and breaking my neck in the process!

I grabbed my bow, the original Bear Whitetail Hunter 6-wheel compound, and dropped it down on a nearby bush as carefully as possible to minimize the damage to it. At first, I began to slowly bear hug my way down the tree - imagine a 180-pound inch worm moving in reverse - while wishing I had paid more attention in gym class when I was younger. How many of you older guys have ever hugged a white oak on an express elevator going down at 40 miles per hour?

Needless to say, the bark on white oak trees is nowhere near as soft as what I previously believed it to be. My shirt sleeves were totally destroyed, and the insides of my arms were shredded pretty good by the time I finally reached the ground. More of my skin was on that tree than on my forearms at that point, but fortunately, the only other injury was to my pride. Miraculously, there was considerably less damage to my bow and the only thing I had to replace was the 3-pin bow sight. Looking up the tree I wondered how on earth I was going to get my hand climber down. I eventually decided to just leave it, and that Baker foot platform was donated to a trash bin soon afterwards.

Ironically, after leaving Germany a little over three years later, I was reassigned to, of all places.......you guessed it....... Fort Campbell, Kentucky. One weekend when I was really bored and had nothing better to do, I went back to that same little patch of woods. I learned that hunting was no longer allowed in that area due to safety concerns, so I just walked around for a bit. While strolling through the woods, I remembered the incident from 1984 and started searching for the tree I had been in. It is surprising how much a woodlot can change in only three years. It took more than an hour, but I actually found the exact same tree and, amazingly, my hand climber was still in it. Unfortunately, the tree had grown around the metal frame of it but as I remembered the incident, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Well, just like my granddaddy always told me, anything that doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Out frog gigging in a canoe one night and something smacked the water right beside us real loud and hard . Just about come out of the boat. Big old beaver was probably laughing he scared me so bad.
They have definitely gotten me a few times. Our lease in Jackson County has a big lake and you have to walk on a trail the full length of it to get to where we hunt. I anticipate those smacks every time, but most of them still get me 🤣

gtk

Staff member
1998 I was showing a friend from up north, my farm and where I hunted. As we were riding around, I decided to move a stand "real quick", that was situated in a thicket next to old soybean field.

I had those screw in steps that I used in my younger/dumber age. As I made it up to my stand which was bout 20', I reached up and grabbed the one remaining step that I used to pull myself in to the stand. The next thing I know, i'm levitating in mid-air . about 20 foot and several minutes later, i'm waking up on the ground, and for some reason I cant stand up. Thats when the pain hits.

Lessons learned:
DONT use screw in steps ever ever ever.
Dont climb stand in cowboy boots.
Always wear harness no matter what your doing.
Always make sure people know where you are.

foot1.jpg

foot3.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
They have definitely gotten me a few times. Our lease in Jackson County has a big lake and you have to walk on a trail the full length of it to get to where we hunt. I anticipate those smacks every time, but most of them still get me 🤣
We saw plenty of Gators out gigging. KInd of had us on edge already,. :D

utvolsfan77

1998 I was showing a friend from up north, my farm and where I hunted. As we were riding around, I decided to move a stand "real quick", that was situated in a thicket next to old soybean field.

I had those screw in steps that I used in my younger/dumber age. As I made it up to my stand which was bout 20', I reached up and grabbed the one remaining step that I used to pull myself in to the stand. The next thing I know, i'm levitating in mid-air . about 20 foot and several minutes later, i'm waking up on the ground, and for some reason I cant stand up. Thats when the pain hits.

Lessons learned:
DONT use screw in steps ever ever ever.
Dont climb stand in cowboy boots.
Always wear harness no matter what your doing.
Always make sure people know where you are.

foot1.jpg

foot3.jpg
Ouch was my first thought, then I realized, man, you've got more metal in your body than I do after 25 years in the military!

Pilchard

All the talk about gators got me thinking about a time I was actually spooked by one. There was a time when hallucinogens were involved but that's a story for a different time….

One time on Cayo Costa island along the SW coast of Florida I was wading a backwater pond. It is tidal but on a barrier island and 100% saltwater. I had spent the morning catching snook and juvenile tarpon. At one point I noticed a big gator(which most would think would be out of his element on the island). He was maybe three or four long casts away. I watched him as he went down and a minute or so later he had cut the distance by a third. He went under again only to pop up 50 feet away. It was then I realized that he was coming to check me out. When he went under the next time he surfaced about 15 feet away and I got nervous.

I was 150yds from the bank so I had no place to go. I'm not sure if it was smart but I made a cast over the gator's back and snagged him on purpose. When I did he freaked out and took off. I broke him off after a few seconds and quickly waded back to my boat.

double browtine

You guys are cracking me up with these stories! They actually reminded me of a few incidents of my own that I had totally forgotten about. I'll try to give you folks the short version of probably my most memorable one.

It happened in 1984 while I was stationed at Fort Knox, Kentucky shortly before my first tour of duty in Germany. While I was on leave before departing for Germany, my younger brother and I decided to bow hunt Fort Campbell during October 1984. Back then they allowed you to bow hunt the two patches of woods between the Air Assault School obstacle course and the small arms ranges on Mabry Road. At that time, I had one of the first commercially available climbing tree stands on the market, an early Baker kit that you had to add your own plywood base to. I also had the hand climber that was sold separately from the foot platform, and it could double as a makeshift seat.

Now, to fully appreciate the gravity (pun intended) of the situation I later found myself in, all of you younger fellows need to understand that 40 years ago, commercially made tree stands were just beginning to appear on the market. They were such a new concept that no manufacturer had yet accumulated the experience necessary to know to attach a tether between the foot platform and the upper seat section (or hand climber) of climbing tree stands. Nor were commercially manufactured safety harnesses yet available as they are now. Even crude waist belts long enough to attach to a tree didn't begin appearing in most areas until the early 1990s. In other words, tree stand hunting 40 years ago was relatively dangerous and was nowhere near as safe as it is today. In hindsight, it is truly amazing that there weren't even more injuries and deaths than there actually were from tree stand accidents back then.

I can already hear the older guys in this group laughing because they already KNOW where this is going and what happened to me that day! I picked a fairly limbless tree and climbed up about 23-25 feet and got settled in. It was a really warm afternoon and for several hours the only movement was from multiple squadrons of mosquitoes the size of 747s. About an hour before dark, I heard movement behind me and turned around to look behind the tree. Excited with the possibility of seeing a deer, when I turned, my weight shifted, putting pressure on the foot platform closest to the tree trunk which caused the foot platform to slip and fall down the tree. Now here I was 25 feet up a tree clinging to that hand climber for dear life and wondering how I was going to get down out of that tree without falling and breaking my neck in the process!

I grabbed my bow, the original Bear Whitetail Hunter 6-wheel compound, and dropped it down on a nearby bush as carefully as possible to minimize the damage to it. At first, I began to slowly bear hug my way down the tree - think of a 180-pound inch worm in reverse - while wishing I had paid more attention in gym class when I was younger. How many of you older guys have ever hugged a white oak at 40 miles per hour on an express elevator going down?

Needless to say, the bark on white oak trees is not anywhere near as soft as what I previously believed it to be. My shirt sleeves were totally destroyed, and the insides of my arms were shredded pretty good by the time I finally reached the ground. More of my skin was on that tree than on my forearms at that point, but fortunately, the only other injury was to my pride. Miraculously, there was considerably less damage to my bow and the only thing I had to replace was the 3-pin bow sight. Looking up the tree I wondered how on earth I was going to get my hand climber down. I eventually decided to just leave it, and that Baker foot platform was donated to a trash bin soon afterwards.

Ironically, after leaving Germany three years later, I was reassigned to of all places.......you guessed it....... Fort Campbell, Kentucky. One weekend when I was really bored and had nothing better to do, I went back to that same little patch of woods. I learned that hunting was no longer allowed in that area due to safety concerns, so I just walked around for a bit. While strolling through the woods, I remembered the incident from 1984 and started searching for the tree I had been in. It is surprising how much a woodlot can change in only three years. It took more than an hour, but I actually found the exact same tree and, amazingly, my hand climber was still in it. Unfortunately, the tree had grown around the metal frame of the hand climber but as I remembered the incident, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Well, just like my granddaddy always told me, anything that doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.
I'll be 50 in a couple months and I hunted out of my dads baker several times. That story brings back memories! I had a similar experience but I was only 10ft up when my boots slipped out of the straps and the stand fell down about 5 ft. I'm hugging the tree because dad didn't have the seat. I hugged the tree with my arms and legs and safety made it to the stand and then back to the ground. That was the last time I used it. It's hanging in my garage as a memory!

double browtine

Lots of amazing stories and memories for you guys! I'm glad y'all are still here to tell them! I enjoyed reading them.

I forgot who it was, but one of the members on here had a bad accident while riding his four wheeler with his harness on. I can't remember who it was tho. I think he was the one who made a video about it and emailed a lot of us the link to watch it. Or that accident may have been a fall from a tree stand. I can't remember. I bet someone remember what I'm talking about.

Lost Lake

Lots of amazing stories and memories for you guys! I'm glad y'all are still here to tell them! I enjoyed reading them.

I forgot who it was, but one of the members on here had a bad accident while riding his four wheeler with his harness on. I can't remember who it was tho. I think he was the one who made a video about it and emailed a lot of us the link to watch it. Or that accident may have been a fall from a tree stand. I can't remember. I bet someone remember what I'm talking about.
I believe that was Mike Belt on the four wheeler

Urban_Hunter

Well, not much sense in sharing mine… as they pale in comparison.

Really only one to speak of, I was 12 years old and insisted I do everything myself, including dressing and packing. Hunted a stand I had to have help getting into and out of and I nearly froze to death. Being young, dumb, and panicked…. I never thought to just scream for help or fire my gun… my dad was just on the other side of the hill. Learned my lesson and pay for it to this day

buckbstr_1

I was either 11 or 12 yrs old and bought my grandad's old 50 caliber blazer percussion muzzleloader for like 50 bucks. I could not wait until the next year to hunt with his gun. This gun was weighted so horribly, most of the weight was in the barrel. I practiced all summer was very efficient and ready to pop a deer or two. That fall Dad was on his 'Big Red' three wheeler and I was on my 110 cruising along an old washout road when I thought something hit me in the eye area really hard. I thought a briar had grabbed my skin. Well the gun stock hit the three wheeler tire and broke the sling and sent the gun like a missile into my eye socket area. Dad said, "I turned around to see the gun fly over your head after it hit you." I passed out only to find my dad over me cussing like crazy for me to come to. He thought the gun shot me in the eye. Come to find out I never took the percussion cap off and this gun should have went off. The gun remained loaded by a miracle. I ended up with 12 stitches starting at the top of my eye socket and stopping at the middle of the front of my head.

I was hunting during muzzleloader season the following year with the same gun. I was clearing out leaves at the base of a tree when my foot hit the stock and the muzzleloader slid down and hitting my shoulder and discharging. My orange was a stinky black mess at the shoulder region and there was a rip in the cloth from the buffalo bullet exiting the barrel. I told my dad I never heard the gun shoot and all I heard was a covey of quail being flushed up during this event. I did see the smoke and gun slide through the leaves but no sound other than what I described. My dad said, "Son don't tell your mom and we are selling this gun before it kills you. You should be dead and I think angels must be with you."

These events made me more cautious and aware about firearm safety. In a moment, life can change.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
In the woods when I was maybe 15-16 a d hearing bullets whiz by me. It's a very weird sound and just as you start to wonder "what was that" then you hear the gun blast and it becomes very clear. It was 2-3 shots best I recall. I ducked behind a tree and hollered and it stopped. I don't think it was on purpose and directed at me but we did have some runs ins with others there. Dad and I had permission on 200+ acres. Had a couple guys from out of town try to run me off a couple of times. Come to find out the neighbor down the rd that owned 16 acres was leasing the neighbors 200 acres out to some guys out of dyersburg. He did not own it. We just let 'em have it after dealing with it a few yrs

Had a similar situation at the Gallatin Steam Plant, my buddy and I were way in the back not far from the shooting range. Hearing shooting was common but when we started hearing the buzzing of incoming and tree limbs being hit that sure was a different feeling! My buddy was closer than I was and really high in a tree, the stray shots were hitting above him so needless to say he scrambled to the ground like a squirrel.
We ended up calling the range master who said "oh yeah, they aren't supposed to be shooting in that direction" !!

Gravey

I can already hear the older guys in this group laughing because they already KNOW where this is going and what happened to me that day! I picked a fairly limbless tree and climbed up about 23-25 feet and got settled in. It was a really warm afternoon and for several hours the only movement was from multiple squadrons of mosquitoes the size of 747s. About an hour before dark, I heard movement behind me and turned around to look behind the tree. Excited with the possibility of seeing a deer, when I turned, my weight shifted, putting pressure on the foot platform closest to the tree trunk which caused the foot platform to slip and fall down the tree. Now here I was 25 feet up a tree clinging to that hand climber for dear life and wondering how I was going to get down out of that tree without falling and breaking my neck in the process!

I grabbed my bow, the original Bear Whitetail Hunter 6-wheel compound, and dropped it down on a nearby bush as carefully as possible to minimize the damage to it. At first, I began to slowly bear hug my way down the tree - think of a 180-pound inch worm moving in reverse - while wishing I had paid more attention in gym class when I was younger. How many of you older guys have ever hugged a white oak at 40 miles per hour on an express elevator going down?

Needless to say, the bark on white oak trees is nowhere near as soft as what I previously believed it to be. My shirt sleeves were totally destroyed, and the insides of my arms were shredded pretty good by the time I finally reached the ground. More of my skin was on that tree than on my forearms at that point, but fortunately, the only other injury was to my pride. Miraculously, there was considerably less damage to my bow and the only thing I had to replace was the 3-pin bow sight. Looking up the tree I wondered how on earth I was going to get my hand climber down. I eventually decided to just leave it, and that Baker foot platform was donated to a trash bin soon afterwards.

Ironically, after leaving Germany a little over three years later, I was reassigned to, of all places.......you guessed it....... Fort Campbell, Kentucky. One weekend when I was really bored and had nothing better to do, I went back to that same little patch of woods. I learned that hunting was no longer allowed in that area due to safety concerns, so I just walked around for a bit. While strolling through the woods, I remembered the incident from 1984 and started searching for the tree I had been in. It is surprising how much a woodlot can change in only three years. It took more than an hour, but I actually found the exact same tree and, amazingly, my hand climber was still in it. Unfortunately, the tree had grown around the metal frame of the hand climber but as I remembered the incident, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Well, just like my granddaddy always told me, anything that doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.
If you've never rode a Baker stand down a tree you don't know what you're missing. 😆 Before I had the hand climber I'd bear hug the tree up and down. Looking back not sure how I thought that was a good idea.

Stalkhunter

While deer Hunting in Adirondack Mnts back home I got turned around in swamp while tracking deer and was to late to to try and make it back out. I was at Stephens Pond in Blue Mnt lake area and made back to the leanto and stayed the night. This is why I hump a pack with proper essentials in it.
Once the fire was lit it was a very good but long night. You have to be on your guard no matter what in those mountains. Lots of critters up there lol.

Latest posts