Harriest predicament you've ever found yourself in while in the woods?

UCStandSitter

Maybe the dumbest one, fishing, a friend in myself were in my aluminum boat and we were catching hybrids. Bunches of them and large ones, all of them over 10 lbs. each. It was raining, actually raining so hard that at noon, lunchtime, it appeared as if it was getting dark. You couldn't see a bright colored topwater lure more than 15 or 20' from the boat. We were sitting in a cove "under powerlines". Til this time, it was just rain and a heavy downpour, never shut the bilge pump off. Suddenly the entire cove lit up from a bolt of lightning, I mean like a giant spotlight and right after a loud clap of thunder. I yelled at my friend, Marvin, and said we are going to die. He set the hook and yelled back "Well I will die happy". We should have left immediately, but we kept on fishing. I won't do that again. It kept on "storming" and we kept on catching fish.
Best fishing I've ever experienced was in the middle of a storm. Unbelievably stupid I agree but man I just couldn't quit. Had the same mindset as your buddy

Last edited:

morgancountry

This was years ago when I was in high school. Went on a duck hunting float trip with a buddy of mine on the French broad with our kayaks. It seemed like a great idea at the time to put in right below the Douglas dam in below 20 degree weather and float until we both shot our limits and get another one of our friends to pick us up...... boy was I wrong. We floated at the same pace with one of us on each side of the river that way we weren't shooting next to each other and could get birds on both sides. About 2-3 miles into our float, I came up on a little offshoot on my side that I decided to float through and come back out on the main river. The little finger was narrow and the water was moving faster than out on the main river. As soon as I got around the first bend, my eyes popped out of my head: seeing a downed tree all the way across a majority of the water except for maybe a 2 foot section where the limbs didn't quite make to the other end of the bank. I turned and paddled as hard as I could to get around the tree but was quickly pulled into the trunk of the tree sideways and was sucked under and spit back out. Luckily I was able to swim and recover my blind bag, gun, and kayak off of pure adrenaline and get to the bank. I quickly took off my waders and all of my clothes and dumped my blind bag out on the bank to find my lighter and matches that were soaked and useless. I tried attempting striking a match to make a fire but couldn't because my fingers were so numb and I was shaking so badly that I kept breaking the heads off. I then started digging through my pack looking for my phone but realized that I had it in a side pouch that was not zipped close and it was lost. I dumped out the water and put my gear in the kayak and floated out in hopes to catch up to my friend to get his attention. I I wasn't getting any where fast since ended up losing my paddle to I had to steer with the butt of my gun. When I made it out to the main river I saw that he was long gone, I ended up floating a couple more miles with no luck and started firing off warning shots in hopes that he would stay put or turn back around. At this point, I was exhausted, shivering uncontrollably and was starting to have my doubts of getting off of the river. I had floated a huge portion of the river before I ended up seeing a couple houses up on top of a steep cliff overlooking the water. With options down to 0, I managed to bear crawl my way up to the houses only wearing my soaking wet boxers and to my luck I saw an old lady walking her little "rat dog" in the neighborhood. As I approached her, she looked up at me like she saw a ghost and said "you look like you could use some help". She ended up bringing me in to her house and bundled me up next to her fire as she ran me a warm bath and made me some hot chocolate. She ended up giving me her phone to call for help, but I was so tired and then confused from how cold that I was that I couldn't remember my fiends number or my anybody's for that matter. I later came to my senses and came up with my mothers number which was not ideal because unlike my father, I knew she would overreact and not ever want me to duck hunt again; which was the case. I was as sick as a dog for about two weeks after that. Never in my life have I been that cold before in my life and I can honestly say that I have never felt that close to dying. I still duck hunt to this day but I have grown a lot smarter and safer since that incident.
Have to ask. What happened to your buddy? Was he looking for you? Went on without you? Turned around and you passed him?

redblood

Short version of a long story but a buddy and I were fixing to take down a deer stand several years ago when a large limb fell out of a tree hitting him in the top of the head, gashing his head open and breaking a vertebra in his neck. We were not prepared for something like that and had nothing to stop the bleeding other than our shirts we had on. I managed to get him out of the woods and to the ER. He was very lucky it did not kill him. The really scary part was my 6 year old daughter was standing right beside him. If that limb had hit her, it would have killed her for sure. I now carry first aid supplies when out doing things like that. And catch myself looking up for hanging limbs, something I never thought much about before.
Man. Talk about bad luck

Rakkin6

Couple of words

Camp MacKall, Nort Carolina, scuba road, doggie palace. Anyone that has been there knows what I mean. I decided stupidly to bust a draw instead of going around it. Worst decision of my military career lol.

JJBraves

Have to ask. What happened to your buddy? Was he looking for you? Went on without you? Turned around and you passed him?
He sadly stumbled upon a campsite on the river and some god ole boys made him squeal like a pig deliverance style, never saw him again. JK....... He went on and stopped at a bridge about a mile down from where I walked up to the neighborhood. With how strong the current was, there was no way he could paddle back upstream.

ttf909

I think it's a factor of being raised around gators… not necessarily guts. Being raised in South Florida I was never scared of gators or moccasins. I don't want to speak for gkadesman but I'd bet he would say the same thing. Most kids that were interested in the outdoors grew up catching gators and snakes.

Here is one I killed with a pickaxe using a headlamp and a snatch hook.

View attachment 125857
Red eyes , red like the devil 🤘

LVS

Short version of a long story but a buddy and I were fixing to take down a deer stand several years ago when a large limb fell out of a tree hitting him in the top of the head, gashing his head open and breaking a vertebra in his neck. We were not prepared for something like that and had nothing to stop the bleeding other than our shirts we had on. I managed to get him out of the woods and to the ER. He was very lucky it did not kill him. The really scary part was my 6 year old daughter was standing right beside him. If that limb had hit her, it would have killed her for sure. I now carry first aid supplies when out doing things like that. And catch myself looking up for hanging limbs, something I never thought much about before.

SALTMAN

early days Ft Campbell .prob 45-50 yrs ago . either Sex . Sitting on a stump in a pretty thick area ,sensed a movement to my right , eased around while bringing the ol 12 ga single shot to my shoulder . Had a bead on the brown side of the deer ,just couldn't see the head . A couple more steps and I would have him . Couple more steps and the fool wearing a brown car hart type coat came into view . NO orange anywhere . I was shaking so bad I didn't even think to holler at him .

Latest posts