Food Plots Happy so far…what now?

TRIGGER

This is the clover I planted in September.( you can only see part of it, the rest is over the rise) No lime or fertilizer until this past weekend I put a couple hundred pounds of 0-20-20. I plan on spraying it but do I need to mow it also? If so when? Thanks
BA5CDEA2-6741-4610-8788-8DBC07664950.jpeg

TRIGGER

Looks like crimson clover. Is there another variety? How are the weeds, I see a few but not much?
Mow only to prevent weeds from seeding, spray if there is a weed problem.
Do you want a summer crop?
No other variety. Was planted with winter wheat but the wheat never came up?
"Do you want a summer crop" I have no clue. Tried the clover last spring but the weeds took over so I re did it all in September. What is your suggestion? I have another field behind the camera that I was planning on planting with clover this September only because the deer loved this field last year and I actually got something to grow. 🤣
I'm new lol. I don't bow hunt and the deer were hitting it hard in November.
the

BSK

Crimson Clover is a fall/winter annual. It is planted in late summer or early fall, it grows through the fall/winter/spring, seeds out in May, and then dies. It is done. Now some of the seed will resprout, however how much comes up before fall is iffy. Generally, Crimson has to be replanted every year if you want a good stand.

TRIGGER

Crimson Clover is a fall/winter annual. It is planted in late summer or early fall, it grows through the fall/winter/spring, seeds out in May, and then dies. It is done. Now some of the seed will resprout, however how much comes up before fall is iffy. Generally, Crimson has to be replanted every year if you want a good stand.
Bursting my bubble. Told you I was new at this lol. I thought clover came back.

TRIGGER

What planting equipment do you have access to?
Do you want
A permanent clover plot
Soil build in summer food plot for winter
Or
You really like growing things and want back to back crops of food year round?
A tractor, disc and tiller.
Just want something to give the deer in the summer and bring them out in November and December.
Just trying to learn. I was impressed by the amount of deer came to the clover and how much time they spent in it last year.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I would have to recommend forage type soybeans or my favorite, eagle seeds summer buffalo blend. Plant it now, end of august run your disk through it and broadcast your annual clover along with cereal rye, turnips and radishes.
This process will build your soil, control weeds, provide some summertime cover and feed the wildlife year round.

BSK

I would have to recommend forage type soybeans or my favorite, eagle seeds summer buffalo blend. Plant it now, end of august run your disk through it and broadcast your annual clover along with cereal rye, turnips and radishes.
This process will build your soil, control weeds, provide some summertime cover and feed the wildlife year round.
I agree with this, unless the plot acreage is small and/or the deer density high. Deer can quickly wipe out a small soybean plot before it gets fully established in summer. But if I had sufficient acreage, or the summer deer density isn't that high, you would be hard-pressed to find a better summer/fall system than the one Popcorn described.

TRIGGER

I agree with this, unless the plot acreage is small and/or the deer density high. Deer can quickly wipe out a small soybean plot before it gets fully established in summer. But if I had sufficient acreage, or the summer deer density isn't that high, you would be hard-pressed to find a better summer/fall system than the one Popcorn described.
The farmer down the road won't plant my 8 acre field with soybeans or corn anymore because the deer wipe them out. The place (different property on the other side of the county) in the picture is only a few acres in the middle of hundreds of acres of mostly woods and some pasture ground without any crops for a long ways. I figured they would eat it up before it had a chance to grow.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
How do u go about planting it ? Spray existing field and disc it up then plant it . I need to look into the ph of my soil first things first I suppose
Spring time it's is best to spray, wait for the burn down then disk and plant. Yes absolutely consider soil ph, many do not consider lime to be as important as fertilizer, it's more important on some soils.
Once you have a successful established weed controlling crop, you can just disk it down and spread your fall seed. The mat of last season's crop will help control weeds and preserve moisture

BSK

If your soil is acidic, neutralizing the soil with lime is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of planting. When the soil is acidic, any necessary nutrients in the soil are electronical bound to the soil particles and are unavailable to the growing plants. If the soil is acidic, adding fertilizer is throwing money down the drain.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
If your soil is acidic, neutralizing the soil with lime is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of planting. When the soil is acidic, any necessary nutrients in the soil are electronical bound to the soil particles and are unavailable to the growing plants. If the soil is acidic, adding fertilizer is throwing money down the drain.
This^^
If I could I would like it twice!

Latest posts