Hang fire with Blackhorn

savageman

i was sighting in my cva wolf with bh209 when I had a hang fire and the bullet hit 2 feet low. Anyone else ever have that happen? What causes it?

KPH

I had that problem here while back, found out my powder was old. Called Blackhorn and talked to them they said that is more likely to happen when you get to the bottom of the can witch is what happen to me. I suppose it is a moister problem.

CHRIS WILSON

I've never experienced a Hang fire or failure to fire while using Blackhorn but I know some have. It's typically been due to a few select issues with the breech plug design, breach plug cleaning and/or the type of primers being used. Tell us a bit more about your setup. What breach plug and primers are you using?

savageman

i use the blackhorn breech plug. I think I bought from CVA. I was using 80 grains bh209 with a 250 grain sabot.
It was my 6th shot of the day. I started with a clean gun. I use the drill bit in the breechplug when I clean the gun the day before.
i was using Winchester 209 shot primers. Not the ones for muzzleloaders.

smyrnagc

i use the blackhorn breech plug. I think I bought from CVA. I was using 80 grains bh209 with a 250 grain sabot.
It was my 6th shot of the day. I started with a clean gun. I use the drill bit in the breechplug when I clean the gun the day before.
i was using Winchester 209 shot primers. Not the ones for muzzleloaders.

I would bet that your breach plug needs to be cleaned good. As you mentioned you use the drill bit but it sounds like that after six shots it might be dirty.

Andy S.

BH website recommends Federal 209A or CCI 209M primers, both hotter than what you are currently using. Also, make sure your powder, sabot, bullet is tightly integrated.

iowavf

I had it happen once with my encore. Everything looked good didn't clean anything and the next 4 or 5 shots was on the money. Only thing I could figure was maybe a bad primor?

GMB54

I would wager over 95% of the 15+ bottles of BH209 ive shot were using a Win209 and i never had a single FTF. It all depends in the quality of the breech plug and how well its maintained. If it belches blowby into your action that certainly wont make it better. The vast majority of the time topics like this pop up AND they were using a good plug, it was either poor user cleaning habits or using MZL 209 primers. If you think you are getting the flash channel clean with solvents and a pipe cleaner.....You probably are not even close to clean. All you did was make a heat sink out of solvent soaked carbon.

Western covers this in quite a bit of detail on the Blackhorn209 website although they dont really touch on primer head space. If the primer seals well in the plug then all the energy must be going towards the powder. It has nowhere else it can go.

Ive shot quite a few conicals i can load with little more than finger pressure. Not a single FTF. So i scratch my head wondering how someone loading a tighter fitting sabot has a FTF. Fired over 30 shots in a row without any kind of cleaning. Not a single FTF.

Are you swabbing between shots and contaminating the plug or powder? I have never needed to clean at all while shooting BH209 but there is a solvent mix that does work ok for some competition level guys and it dries faster.

Last edited:

Latest posts