Ham ?

Gone Phishin

I bought a raw ham to cook for Christmas dinner. I normally make mixture of brown sugar and honey to baste it with during cooking.I haven't cooked a raw ham usually they are cured. I will be cooking it in the oven. I would like some ways to cook the ham, rubs,injection suggestions, or any other tips for a "knock your socks off" ham. TIA

mike243

i use pineapple rings & Marciano {sp} cherrys,take a sharp knife & litely cross hatch the ham,if its not been injected with salts/ect salt & pepper,stick the fruit on it with toothpicks then combine the juice from the cans & inject the ham,then foil loosely & cook till its done,i have always used the fruit as more decoration till this year & got the bright idea to inject the left over juice,i will never cook another without doing that,its simple but dang the flavor that it adds cant be beat,mike243

FULLDRAWXX75

Here is one that I have used several times, it is good.

A fresh ham is not cured or smoked - or aged, either (as are various other hams.) A �fresh ham� is simply a hind leg of pork (the same cut as the traditional pink �ham�) which has not had anything done to it at all. It is a wonderful centerpiece for a meal, however - and can be roasted like a cured, smoked ham, except that it must reach a slightly higher internal temperature than one which has already been cooked in processing. When preparing a �fresh ham� expect a meatier flavor, and a color more similar to pork than to the pink hues of cured hams. Fresh hams will be labeled �cook before eating.�

Also, fresh hams take well to brining before roasting; brining will make them not only more flavorful, but juicier, so a brining step is included here. I notice that this particular recipe uses an uncommonly high ratio of salt to liquid in the brine. No doubt, the author is looking for a saltier result (more �ham like� than would be desirable for turkey or another roast). Brining can be accomplished with less salt - but no less than 1 cup per gallon of liquid�.although the result when using less salt will be less intensely flavored.

SERVES 12*

1 bone-in fresh ham with skin, 6 to 8 pounds, preferably shank end, rinsed

[*OR double this recipe to make an entire, whole fresh ham which will weigh about 14-16 pounds [will serve twice as many, too!]

for the brine:
4 cups, kosher salt
3 cups, (packed measure) dark or light brown sugar
10 bay leaves
1/2 cup, black peppercorns - crushed
1 gallon, cold water (or substitute apple juice)

for the garlic and herb rub:
1 cup, lightly packed sage leaves (about 1 large bunch)
1/2 cup, parsley leaves (about 1 bunch)
8 medium, garlic cloves � peeled
1 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1/2 tablespoon, ground black pepper
1/4 cup, olive oil

Cider-Brown Sugar Glaze - included here (or another glaze of your choice)

for the glaze: (optional)
1 cup, apple juice or cider
2 cups, brown sugar
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick

Prepare the ham: Score the skin of the ham at 1-inch intervals using a very sharp, serrated knife (the skin is very tough), or ask the butcher to do it. Cut only through the skin and fat, and avoid cutting into the meat - stop about 1/8 inch before you reach the meat. First, make parallel cuts about one inch apart, all across the skin. Then, cut diagonally across those parallel cuts to make a diamond crosshatch pattern. The skin will be crisp and delicious, and as the fat melts in cooking, it will baste the meat.

Brine the ham: Combine salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, black pepper and 1 gallon cold water in a bucket or basin large enough to hold the ham. Submerge ham in brine and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.

Dry the ham, prepare and apply the garlic and herb rub: Remove the ham from the brine, and rinse the ham, dry with a towel, and allow to air-dry 1 hour. Heat oven to 500 degrees. In a food processor, pulse sage, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and oil until smooth, about 30 seconds. Rub this mixture into the surface of the ham. Transfer to a roasting pan with a rack. [Cook�s Note: even if you skip the step of brining the ham, be sure to flavor it with this zesty rub.]

Prepare the glaze: Combine all glaze ingredients together in saucepan, and simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups - about 5 minutes. Mixture should have a syrupy consistency. [Cook�s Note: warm the glaze before each application to the roasting ham, for easy-to-brush-on texture.]

Roast the ham: Sear the ham by cooking it at 500 degrees (preheated oven) for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue roasting until the internal temperature registers 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer - about 2 1/2 hours, brushing with glaze twice during the last 90 minutes. Lightly cover with foil and allow the roasted ham to rest for 30 minutes, until center of ham registers 155 degrees to 160 degrees. Ham may be allowed to rest longer, if necessary. Carve and serve.

FDXX75

Latest posts