H380 in 223

WestTN2288

So, it's right beside lever and cfe223 on the burn rate chart. These are 2 of my favorite powders for 70-something grain bullets in 223… why wouldn't h380 work nearly as well? Why only old load data for it?

Tenntrapper

Speer has it listed for 70g bullets...

IMG_20240309_195401.jpg

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'd say that it is too slow or bulky to work well in the smaller casing, but I have never used it before personally. Probably why it will work with some of the heavies in 223/5.56. I know that it was designed by Hodgdon for the 22-250, but it also works well in 30-06 and several other larger volume rounds.

WestTN2288

Speer has it listed for 70g bullets...

View attachment 219025
Thank you! I don't have a Speer manual, so that's a big help

Adding: the more I look at it, the more I think those velocities add up closer to real life results I see vs the Hornady manual. Not particularly the actual velocity, but the ranking of them for sure

Remi

Thank you! I don't have a Speer manual, so that's a big help

Adding: the more I look at it, the more I think those velocities add up closer to real life results I see vs the Hornady manual. Not particularly the actual velocity, but the ranking of them for sure

Speer data

FredRog72

It's a fine ball powder similar to BLC-2 but very little load data out there for a .223. I'll look through my books tonight and see if anything pops. I'll take pics and post if I find anything.

FredRog72

I'd say that it is too slow or bulky to work well in the smaller casing, but I have never used it before personally. Probably why it will work with some of the heavies in 223/5.56. I know that it was designed by Hodgdon for the 22-250, but it also works well in 30-06 and several other larger volume rounds.
I agree it's too slow burning. Out of the mound of books and data I do have, nothing!

Tenntrapper

I guess that was where my question is coming from. Leverevolution is not any load books either, but it works really good for me. And then H380 is right next to it on the burn chart
I don't know if any truth to this but....
When I started loading 223 I ran into the same thing. I wanted to use powders where there was no data. I was "told" that there is little data with the slower powders because most loaders won't use them. Something about, when loading for an AR, with slower powders the flame front will hit the gas port and travel back down it. I was loading for a 24" bolt gun, so I used them anyway....with good results.
I assume they meant that faster powders would burn up prior to gas port.
Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and clarify.

Tenntrapper

And another thing.... I'm about to start using it with 7/08. From what I've read about it, it's an old, single base powder. It's a good powder, but when the newer, double base powders came along, loaders just drifted away from it. I'm kinda old school, so I'm going to try it.

WestTN2288

I don't know if any truth to this but....
When I started loading 223 I ran into the same thing. I wanted to use powders where there was no data. I was "told" that there is little data with the slower powders because most loaders won't use them. Something about, when loading for an AR, with slower powders the flame front will hit the gas port and travel back down it. I was loading for a 24" bolt gun, so I used them anyway....with good results.
I assume they meant that faster powders would burn up prior to gas port.
Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and clarify.
That's interesting and great info, thank you!