Gun selection 22 magnum or 17 hmr

OffHand85

I have been looking for a rimfire to hunt small game with, but reading reviews on the savage Bmag isn't very comforting.

I'll probably try and "build" one on a Boyd's At-one thumb hole on a CZ chassis , 17 wsm Ammo is very dirty and seems to be the cause of accuracy issues, I don't want to have to run a patch down the bore after every 7-10 shots.

I would also like to suppress it in the future.
Even the Ruger 77/17 wsm has accuracy problems.
Anybody in Shelby county have a gunsmith they can rely on to do glass bedding, trigger jobs, head spacing, lapping rings and scope mounts? Being a machinist I hate that I don't have a mill or lathe at home to do diy!

Anybody have any recommendations on a rimfire chassis?
I'm looking at a Match grade Machine custom barrel.

SteveJ

I like 22 mag but have never tried a 17. I wouldn't shoot too far away with the 22 mag though

Bullit

2-Step Enabled
My 17 HMR is very accurate and fast. If I hit them they don't go anywhere and the ballistic tips do a great job.

Bull_TN

A .17 HMR is a .22 Mag case necked down to a .17 cal bullet. So, you have the same amount of powder pushing a smaller, more aerodynamic projectile. In my opinion, the .17 HMR is the superior round of the two. You should take a look at the .17 WSM. That round was developed with the same idea (necking down a larger rim fire cartridge), but Winchester necked down a .27 nail gun case (larger than the .22 mag case). The result is an even faster and flatter shooting round. The ammo of both .17's are the same price were I shop. Hope that's useful.

Latest posts