Gun selection 22 magnum or 17 hmr

280longshot

TNDeerHunter270":1rfnfuqf said:
I bought a Ruger 77 in 17hmr last year and it has been a blast to shoot. I can consistently shoot 1/2 inch groups out to 150 yards. The ammo is easy to find locally and is not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never seen a 17 hmr shoot that great...[emoji106]

TraumaSlave

I worry that the A17 will be finikey in ammo. They recommend using their own brand of ammo. It is 100fps faster than others. Only a fraction difference but, could make the difference in cycling or not.

Hunter 257W

KPH":3gtnad6n said:
280longshot":3gtnad6n said:
I would love to shoot the 17Hornet
Me too I wonder if it is as good as I think.

My 17 Remington left me not wanting anything to do with any 17 caliber to be honest. They are just too much trouble for a lot of reasons. For one thing, the tiny bullets are darned hard to handle when seating bullets. My rifle is finicky as heck regarding accuracy. Cleaning rods are as limp as spaghetti noodles when trying to push one down the bore. Velocity is all you have, since your bullets weigh next to nothing, yet those little "grains of rice" shed velocity like a raincoat sheds water. I'd much prefer a good 22 Hornet myself to any wildcat version of the same. Sadly though, that's one chambering that we just don't have many suitable rifles for. I have a very specific vision as to what a Hornet should be too. It should be a trim rifle with a small action suitable for nothing larger than the 223 family of cartridges. A barrel of 22 to 24 inches would do but should be a light weight barrel - total gun weight no more than 6 lbs before scope. I usually lean towards a bolt action but a Contender with a Hornet barrel would be just as good. It should also be affordable to most people. Say no more than $500 or maybe $600. The best fit for the Hornet I can think of presently is the Ruger 77/22. Anschutz has made some great ones but they aren't exactly affordable. My present Hornet is a Savage 340. A heavy, clunky rifle with a 8 lb trigger pull. That's why in spite of my love for the cartridge the gun hardly gets used.

Yotehntr

Energy is what you are after, do a google search and see which has the most energy. Either will work, but I'd stack my cards with the one with the most energy. ;)

Viper (tp)

I have both, 22mag and the 17 HMR. I figure out to a 100 yards with the 22mag and out to 125 yards with 17 HMR. Either one would do the trick but I use my weatherby vanguard series 2 in 223 with hornidy 40 gr. in a v-max round, if I'm going to stretch the distance out further. These yardages I wrote on here is (My yardages) I'm sure there are other hunters that stretch it out there further with them, I just choose not to.

000guitar

stik":24yvmq5j said:
wtdhunter1 said:
Can you use a shotgun on your WMA (most allow). My slug gun shoots sub moa. Not sure what the effective range of a 17 or 22 mag is.

slugs would not be legal.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm also looking right at the hunting guide and it says that shotgun slugs are legal for taking furbearers...

scn

000guitar":2so9t8nx said:
stik":2so9t8nx said:
wtdhunter1 said:
Can you use a shotgun on your WMA (most allow). My slug gun shoots sub moa. Not sure what the effective range of a 17 or 22 mag is.

slugs would not be legal.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm also looking right at the hunting guide and it says that shotgun slugs are legal for taking furbearers...

A shotgun with slugs is legal for furbearers if you are a legal big game hunter using that equipment during a legal big game season. Otherwise, T shot is the largest size shot you can use. The footnote in the listing clarifies that slugs are not legal outside of a legal big game season by a legal big game hunter.

Latest posts