Gulf Shores fishing

scn

so is the tide so strong it could pull a 2 oz weight?
The current in that area when the tides are going in or out will pull something a lot heavier than a 2 oz weight. It rips through this area.

IMO, with the exception of slack tide when the bite is normally off anyway, it is not going to be a situation where you can fish two rods at once. You will have a lot of difficulty trying to have one on the bottom while you actively fish another. If you use enough weight to anchor something, you will stay hung up in the rocks.

If you want to fish some live bait, probably do it like Pilchard is saying on a Carolina rig cast up current an allowed to sweep back in the current.

Last edited:

Bone Collector

Thanks for all the help with this. I actually no nothing about saltwater fishing and it shows.

One other thing that crossed my mind. I know the current pulls really hard there, but what if you put like a large slip like float for catfishing (I have one that is about 12" long). these floats can support 1/4-1/2 oz. weights that is to say they won't submerge with that weight + a live bluegill. Then You could cast out a small fish live or dead (bullet minnow, croaker, etc.) and even though the current will lift it some, I would think with the weight it will stay lower in the water, so it will essentially be off the bottom floating and then when the float reaches the end of the slack in the line it will just kind of be there.

Just an idea I had. Probably won't work, but I thought I bounce it off some of you guys.

Last edited:

NAjoe

There's a little pass going west towards ft morgan that people catch a lot of fish on also. You could try that one day and go on out to ft morgan and try the pier there too? Edit, I guess its on WEST BEACH road, NOT ft morgan road. I've not been there, just heard about it. We fished alabama pt/the pass once at night drifting live shrimp under slip bobbers. Caught a couple spec trout and my buddy got spooled by something. We figure a big bull red. As was mentioned, the current was ripping out and when he set the hook, whatever it was headed out and he never slowed it down.

Latest posts