Gulf Shores fishing

Bone Collector

I am going to gulf shores at the end of this month. will be there from the afternoon of March 27 - March 31, so basically the 28-31. I was going to try to fish one day while we are there off the pier most likely, unless I should go somewhere else. Looking to try to catch a bull red, but basically whatever is biting.

what should I use as far as rigs, lures, etc.? I have very little experience saltwater fishing. Usually just buy squid and maybe some frozen mullet or cigar minnows and put them on the bottom. I may want to try lures too though, if it would be a good idea.

I know some places around here sell bucktails, and spoons for saltwater fishing, but I can probably get some stuff there too. I will have to buy bait and license, so I can see what they have. what other lures should I consider other than bucktails and spoons?

maddhatter82

2-Step Enabled
If they have repaired the pier, get a sabiki rig drop it out in the schools of bait. Catch them, put them on a circle hook through the back, cast them out and let them swim. Keep a few dead baits for when you see the schools of reds coming in. Hook up in the nose of the dead ones and fish like a swim bait in the schools 😉

Bone Collector

If they have repaired the pier, get a sabiki rig drop it out in the schools of bait. Catch them, put them on a circle hook through the back, cast them out and let them swim. Keep a few dead baits for when you see the schools of reds coming in. Hook up in the nose of the dead ones and fish like a swim bait in the schools 😉
It says it is open, but of course they have limited capacity due to covid... I think they are letting 200 people or so on the pier total.

edit*** so apparently the pier is not whole like it was the last time I was there last time 2013 or 2014. They are allowing 125 anglers and 75 sightseers... why they are letting sightseers on a fishing pier with limited capacity, is beyond me, but that is what it says. I am sure If I go there I'll need to be there at sun up.

Last edited:

woodyard

There has not been much going on according to the fishing reports lately because of the weather and its impact on the water conditions. A few whiting, sheepshead, pomps and a few Spanish mackeral. That can all change to the better pretty quick if they get some more warm temps and better water conditions.

http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/forum Can give you a lot of info if you search through.

For the Spanish you can use Gotchas or silver casting spoons most of the time close to the end of the pier. For the others fresh dead or live shrimp is probably best. Carolina rigged for most of them on lighter line and tackle for most. Sheepshead are mainly right around the pilings. You can see them a lot of times working the barnacles. Whiting and pomps usually in the shallows. You can get tackle and live bait at J and M tackle at 25125 Canal Rd, Orange Beach.

Regular bass size spinning rods and reels for most of the fishing with lighter lines. If you are targeting bull reds or kings you probably need to step up to 5000 or 6000 series reels and rods with 250-300 yd capacity spools using 15 lb line. You will probably have to horse them some now with the end of the pier gone and the octi out by itself since the hurricane. Be sure to use a heavier mono or flouro leader between your line and the hooks for spanish and such. On big stuff you might want wire leaders.

Wash your rod and reel in fresh water after fishing and then clean them up good after the trip if you want to use them again sometime.

Haven't been any reports on bull reds or kings yet that I have seen. I check in pretty regular to see what is going on. Gonna be there, myself, in a few weeks.

I love fishing there and it is a hoot when a school of bull reds come through or the kings start.

Also watch the regulars and ask questions. Most will go out of their way to help you get connected to what is biting.

Last edited:

Bone Collector

I am staying at the Caribe and there is a road under Perdido pass and there is a beach. Looks like there is an outlet from the bay to the ocean there. looks like some rocks go out off shore. Alabama point East is what it is called.

Can you fish in places like that or is it not allowed?

woodyard

You can fish the pass and maybe out on the jetty. i think they have had parts of it fenced off or maybe just at the parking lot. Not sure since covid and hurricanes what is accessible. You could also surf fish all along the beach since pomps and whiting are in the shallows.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Look up Bama beach bum on YouTube. A lot of good videos from the gulf shores area. We were down there back in October and saw 2 bull reds caught from the rocks you are talking about.

ronnycl

you can fish the pass. most people fish the west side of the pass. I thought the hurricane got the gulf state pier last summer. not sure?? J&M tackle can hook you up on canal rd for tackle and bait

Bone Collector

you can fish the pass. most people fish the west side of the pass. I thought the hurricane got the gulf state pier last summer. not sure?? J&M tackle can hook you up on canal rd for tackle and bait
Yeah west side looks better. The trails that go from our hotel to the beach put me on the east side, but I am sure I can figure out how to get to the west side.

water looks deeper there (comparable to the end of the pier). might catch fish moving in and out.

scn

If you haven't fished jetties much before, the rocks run out a pretty good ways from those showing. If you try to fish with a heavy sinker, you are likely going to stay hung up. Lures that can be retrieved above the rocks, or a float rig, may be a better bet.

During the periods of tide movement, the current is swift right there.

It is harder fishing than off the pier, but can hold some nice fish.

mike243

Perdido pass is a great place to fish, was down there 3-4 years or so ago and you need a net as they made a nice side walk and rail down the bank, nice benches to set on and bait boards to cut bait on, a gold 3" spoon with a red gem on it works great on red fish, the pier was torn up in the storm and isn't 100% finished, you cant fish the bottom in the pass unless its slack tide , current moves really fast and you may end up hung up a lot. I found out I cant cast millions of times per day any more lol

Bone Collector

Perdido pass is a great place to fish, was down there 3-4 years or so ago and you need a net as they made a nice side walk and rail down the bank, nice benches to set on and bait boards to cut bait on, a gold 3" spoon with a red gem on it works great on red fish, the pier was torn up in the storm and isn't 100% finished, you cant fish the bottom in the pass unless its slack tide , current moves really fast and you may end up hung up a lot. I found out I cant cast millions of times per day any more lol
what side it he rail? I assume the west side? There are jetties there one (East side) looks like it was blown out in the hurricane (google maps, which also shows the pier in one piece...).

I feel like if I can get on the rocks I can get to deeper water.

scn

what side it he rail? I assume the west side? There are jetties there one (East side) looks like it was blown out in the hurricane (google maps, which also shows the pier in one piece...).

I feel like if I can get on the rocks I can get to deeper water.
If you venture out past the walkway, just remember those rocks can be VERY slick. And, there is a lot of current in the pass. It would be a pretty dangerous situation if you went in while the tide was moving in or out.

In addition to the current, watch out for the wakes from the big boats as they come and go through the pass. They can easily wash a person off the jetty if you are close to the water level.

mike243

I caught a 34" or so redfish and a few minutes before a turtle about 2' across popped up right beside me, I don't know who was more surprised lol, tide was going out, liked fishing there but its not easy any more using only jigs so pier/beach fishing is still on the menu to use bait and take it easy and not have a cardio work out.

hammer33

If you want bull reds stick to live fish or half a blue crab. They will happily eat other baits but I catch WAY more on the larger baits. Fresh crab, Live mullet, croakers, ...other baits in that order if you are targeting LARGE reds. For anything that bites and smaller reds, Shrimp, cut fish, small crabs, clams, sand fleas.

Bone Collector

liked fishing there but its not easy any more using only jigs so pier/beach fishing is still on the menu to use bait and take it easy and not have a cardio work out.
So I was going to use bait on one rod and use a bucktail or spoon on another. I am guessing from this you are saying that bottom fishing is hard there? Is there tons of snags under the water?

what if I just hooked a croaker or a crab or another small fish to a weightless line and let it swim so to speak?

mike243

If the tide was slack that would work fine, current was pretty strong the days I fished it and didn't have a chance to stay til slack tide, going to correct that next time I go

Pilchard

so is the tide so strong it could pull a 2 oz weight?
If you're anchoring your bait to the bottom in a saltwater pass, you're doing it wrong. The fish are feeding on bait that is being flushed by the tide.

A better way is to put enough weight on that when you cast up tide your bait sweeps right along the bottom. When it gets down tide and your bait starts to plane up reel it in and do it again. This works with live bait, buck tail jigs, swim baits, etc.

Also, don't cast your bait out in the middle of the pass, the fish will relate to structure which is most often within 20 feet from shore. Many people will walk out to knee high water and cast out further when they are actually standing where the fish are.

Latest posts