Growing Ramp?

trealtree

Anyone grow and eat ramp? Here is our secret crop.

2010-john100.jpg

Poor redneck

Used to go to a ramp festival every year up in Virginia. Some of the finest backwoods bluegrass pickin' I've heard. Wild leeks, kinda taste like onion and smells like garlic.

trealtree

Poor redneck said:
Used to go to a ramp festival every year up in Virginia. Some of the finest backwoods bluegrass pickin' I've heard. Wild leeks, kinda taste like onion and smells like garlic.

I knew a Poor Redneck would know what it was... ;) we tried grilling some last year and it had an interesting taste.

trealtree

gil1 said:
I had never even heard of this, but it is timely. This article was on the front page of the Living and Food section of today's Tennessean.

Quest for Ramps

I saw that in the paper yesterday. The Ramps shown in my pic were transplanted from the Mountains of East Tn. They are doing well in the shade of the Cane along the creek bank. They seed out every year and the seeds wash down the creek. I always wonder if any have survived to grow downstream?

trealtree

tndrbstr said:
We have dug them several for generations that I know of. I wouldn't want to just grow em tho. The fun is in going into the mountains to dig em. It is more of a social event in some ways. We always made a long day of it that ended up with a pic-nic of sorts with a gathering of family and friends towards the end of the "event"... sort of an official passage into spring thing. :cool:

That would be fun if they were around where I live. But We had to resort to transplanting. :) Just like ginseng. I am working on 6 rootlings that I was given by family in East TN. They have been transplanted to a secret location to see if they will do well here.

Latest posts