Grouse

FOX FIRE

Man do I miss hear'n grouse drumming around here, have'nt laid eyes on one in years.

Consider yourselves fortunate to have them.

stilllookin

I too miss grouse hunting. Especially with a dog. Love hunting with dogs no matter the quarry. I guess well have to wait for twra to start the reintroduction of the elusive brown bomber. Restocking effort like with deer and turkey. Oh wait a minute theres not enough revenue to be made. Maybe we'll just wait until there on the endangered list. I guess some might call me a smart---. I just call it like i see it.

Jhawk

We just got back from wisconsin. We averaged 10 flushes a day but didnt get to far out, talked to some locals that were averaging 35-40 flushes per day. I only got to take one bird but I had a great time anyway it was my ten month old setter pups first trip. Had a blast watching him run.

mike243

stilllookin said:
I too miss grouse hunting. Especially with a dog. Love hunting with dogs no matter the quarry. I guess well have to wait for twra to start the reintroduction of the elusive brown bomber. Restocking effort like with deer and turkey. Oh wait a minute theres not enough revenue to be made. Maybe we'll just wait until there on the endangered list. I guess some might call me a smart---. I just call it like i see it.
they tried it with Quail,wont work with them,has any state restocked Grouse with any luck? please share the details & maybe enuf folks can get involved to get something started .We probaly need to work on the yotes & other critters that eat eggs in order to help grow the #s.back in the hay day of great Quail & Grouse hunting there were a lot lot more small game hunters & trappers that kept other egg eaters at a lower # than we have now
im all for getting a huntable # in all countys here.

Jhawk

I think we really need to get a hold on our hawk population, the people at the dnr say they dont eat enough quail or grouse to hurt the population but i disagree.

stilllookin

I dont think grouse restoration is possible. I kinda said that as to start a thinking process i guess. If we think back as to what wildlife(s) were being reintroduced about the time our grouse population started declining we might see part of the problem(turkeys). And also i agree too many predators now. Be it hawks,bobcats,coyotes, turkeys. Whatever can catch the young grouse or eat the eggs. I think thethe bobcat population is a lot bigger than we realize.I dont see that the habitat has changed that much where grouse live like it has for quail.

SES

I've seen only one this year. Jumped it in Rhea County at the lease. They used to be everywhere on North Cumberland, but I haven't seen nearly as many as I used to up there.

DntBrnDPig

Habitat Habitat Habitat.

I jumped up 2 in Cherokee during Turkey season.

If people would plant for them like they have deer & turkey, they'd come around again. We like manicured fence rows and bush hogging fields which takes out nests and cover for them.

Typically if people find them, they keep the locations to themselves.

Inkstainz

Yea I used to hear stories about quail and grouse hunting from my grandfather. Its sad how even my generation doesn't really have the opportunity to hunt them like they did 40+ years ago. I think the large number of predators has a huge deal with the population. We need to get more guys to spend time hunting the predators so that maybe we can get the numbers up some.

tn red

The ban on logging has hurt the grouse in many areas.As far as quail i see huge areas of habitat with few covies but numbers in the last 2 yrs have been the best in a decade.

BlountArrow

Jhawk said:
I think we really need to get a hold on our hawk population, the people at the dnr say they dont eat enough quail or grouse to hurt the population but i disagree.

I heard just the opposite from a TWRA biologist a few months ago. He said the Coopers Hawk is one of the biggest predators facing quail.

Setterman

tn red said:
The ban on logging has hurt the grouse in many areas.As far as quail i see huge areas of habitat with few covies but numbers in the last 2 yrs have been the best in a decade.

Where is this ban on logging you speak of? It certainly isn't around here.

birddoginQ

I have ran the girls a few times this year, but much fewer than I would like. Hope to catch up by the end of the season. We have moved a bird almost every outing....not as many as in the past but still moving birds. Wish to find these quail a few have mentioned rebounding a bit. But again maybe by the end of the season.

scn

If any of you guys do luck into a grouse or two and clean them for the table, I'd love to have the feathers to tie up some trout flies. Just throw what you pluck into a plastic bag, and I'll be happy to pay to get them mailed to me.

Thanks!

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I used to do a lot of grouse and quail hunting in my area and was very lucky to have a setter that was very good on grouse.

Sadly, everyone sprayed and burnt their fence rows and started keeping their feilds mowed so close they resemble golf courses. And they all wonder where their quail went. :crazy: :(

rhinoblake

I haven't got to go out this year in Tennessee. I can't wait until I have the chance. Watching my setter work is what it's all about for me. He isn't very good due to the low numbers to train him on. But I would rather be bloody and bruised just to hear the thunder of wings than chase anything else.

Latest posts