Grilled Halibut

TennesseeRains

I have found halibut to be the absolute best fish I've ever eaten. I've baked it (posted how on another thread) - and grilled it. The wife really prefers it grilled...but I think she just uses that as an excuse to get me out of the house and out from under foot...

1st off: DON'T overcook it - or any fish for that matter. Grill until it flakes easy.

1) The halibut that is 'donated' to me via my brother's freezer, is fileted with skin on. I have grilled skin on - and if I'm cooking it on a cedar plank, I always leave the skin on. However, the wife and kids don't like it that way too much - so I generally remove the skin. I also clean up the fillets real good removing any bad looking spots.

2) Now, this may be just habit, but after I cut the fillets into individual portions...I soak them in salt water for up to 2-hrs. I don't know, it just seems to 'clean' them - and they tend to be more firm for grilling.

3) After soaking - I rinse them very well to remove the brine. Then I brush both sides with olive oil (I like Colavita; then I sprinkle on sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

4) The other two items I've always used is lemon zest and dill weed - sprinkled on. Just for kicks, I have also sprinkled on a little onion powder - and a very small amount of garlic powder (don't get too much though - it will overpower the good fish).

Note: I generally make up a 'fresh' marinade in a bowl with the above ingredients...along with the juice of the lemon I zested for use later.

5) At this point, I generally cover the fish with plastic wrap and put back into the fridge...kinda marinating - during this time I'm preparing the rest of the meal.

6) Now, the grill. I've found that cooking at around 325 - 350 is the best on mine. And I've also cooked the halibut straight on the grate - but sometimes the fish just falls through...so I have myself a metal grilling plate - which has holes all in it. I'll spray the plate with cooking spray, get it warm, then put the halibut on!

7) Can't give you grilling times - but when the first side is 'done', I flip the fillet over, and brush on the marinade mentioned above. Once the halibut is cooked - in all of it's flaky goodness - I remove it and flip it over, brushing that side with the remaining marinade.

Oh - then I eat it.

fishboy1

Halibut is great.

Light flavor like a flounder but not mushy like one.

If I ever get into some halibut Ill have to try your brine method.

Latest posts