Green firebreaks?

Boll Weevil

Has anyone established effective green firebreaks with a focus primarily on managing burns (secondary wildlife habitat)? Here's a few pics of breaks we planted for early erosion control (but we haven't run a fire thru it yet) vs. a pic of an unplanted break. I feel ok about a backing fire but concerned a head fire might not work as well, might get torched, or both. If so, what grass species might you recommend?
IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_1147.jpeg

nwsg76

Consider using a leaf blower to widen your breaks as needed. Simple and effective especially in woods.
Annuals cereal grains such as wheat or oats on firebreaks for winter burning. Allow to go fallow during summer. Then replant in fall. Basically a small food plot on some years and a fire break on some years.

JCDEERMAN

I haven't for those purposes, other than foodplots being a fire break (but haven't burned those areas yet), but plan on doing one this fall and 3 next spring in this circumstance.

If I planted it and want it remaining and not scarred at all, I agree - I definitely wouldn't do a head fire. Likewise, I'd be ok with a backing for sure. I'd probably light 5 feet from the green and parallel the green. Once the fire reaches it, blow it out with a backpack blower and let the backing continue away from it.

I'm going to follow this for recommendations on what to plant

MickThompson

As a general rule, I fire off my breaks but never intentionally head fire into one that hasn't been backfired off of adequately

Stick to cereal grains for your grasses. Forbs are better as they tend to not accumulate thatch like grasses do. I don't really consider a green break a break anymore once it freezes out or matures and isn't green anymore. Perennial grasses will accumulate thatch on the breaks.

Boll Weevil

For the record, the breaks above were seeded in Marshall ryegrass last fall…they'll likely burn up soon enough as the weather warms and drier air sets in. I've started thinking about what native annuals might have a shot at taking hold, but I think they might need more sun. Panicgrass, wooly croton, partridge pea, bluestem etc…it'd be great if I could get something established that took care of itself more or less.

Last edited: