Green Field

Gravey

I've been thinking about putting a food plot of winter wheat in behind my house for several years but have never done it. I only have 5 acres and the field it would be in is in the 1.5 range so the plot wouldn't be any bigger than an acre or so. It wouldn't be for hunting although I wouldn't be opposed to sitting over it during the rut in case a hot doe drug a nice buck by. Anyway, what are the proper steps to doing this and when should I do it? I have a tractor, bush hog, finish mower, & disk and also have access to a plow (I think it's still available). Time seems to always be my problem.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Right now you would do just fine by mowing the grass real short then drilling in the wheat. Spread a couple hundred pounds of triple 15 on it if you have an acre. Will come up fine.

Tree Tramp

Id bushog or rough disk, sow and light disk. Hard to get winter wheat wrong. I dont use fertilizer for it either. I have two plots that havent had a wheat seed planted for two years. I bushog it low first of sept and the heads on the wheat sow the new seed back. It looks just as good this year as it did when i planted it two years ago. May be the dirt :crazy:

Gravey

Football Hunter said:
dont forget,if you use nitrogen,your encouraging those grasses.I wouldnt disc at all,bush hog,wait a week,spray,and overseed right before a rain.
This is all new to me so I know zip about nitrogen. I mowed it down yesterday thankfully before the rain today and was planning to disc Wednesday if I can (son has baseball game tomorrow night). Why wouldn't you disc it and then seed? I have nothing to spray it with and am assuming you're talking about using gly 4?

WDS

Disc and plant. Grass seed is not an issue this time of year. Winter wheat will do much better with broken ground. If you do not have a drag (cultipacker, ect.) run a 4-wheeler over the plot to try and 'pack' the seed. Winter wheat can even be lightly disked *** LIGHTLY *** to cover or get better soil contact. Smaller seed (clover,brassicas (i.e. Rape) don't disk, but rather run over the plot with 4 wheeler , UTV, ect. Rape and Wheat will basically grow on a rock, but clover takes tender loving care !! I actually break out the guitar and sing to mine when time allows !! My Will Ladino/ Medium Red plots prefer SKYNYRD !!!!! now aint that cool !!!

Latest posts