Great pictures on Bowsite

rich,
I am "generically" refering to the area about 6 inches above a broadside deers elbow, (Bottom of humerus) forward toward the top of the scapula, as the "shoulder". I have dried humerus and scapula bones from average does that would and have easily stopped arrow penetration. There is a ridge on the scapula, that will easily stop an arrow from penetration to the vitals. I have taken MANY deer with well placed shots through this area, but only because the deer did not react as much as it could have upon arrow release.

The picture on Bowsite accurately displays the bones we are talking about. But it takes movement of the leg to interfere with the path of the arrow. THis is very difficult to show to people. I have managed to capture some rough footage but it still does not cover all situations.

I definitely aim for the lungs. But I am VERY aware of those arrow blocking bones.

Radar

I had a successful old timer tell me when I first started out bowhunting to only take a shot when the leg was forward , therefore exposing the lungs better . He has killed more P&Y bucks than anyone I know personally .

richmanbarbeque

Radar, I agree.

My point in all of this is hunters are so paranoid of the shoulder area that they gut shoot more deer. The shoulder IS NOT where hunters think it is and you can successfully bring your shot forward more than most realize. Anatomy is something that everyone should study and the best way is to process your own deer. Every time I kill one I check out where and how the arrow killed that deer. By processing and checking anatomy out I have learned that what I thought was the shoulder area is not. I think this was the whole purpose of SCN's thread.

Latest posts