Food Plots grass herbicide suggestion needed

creativomjh

my plots have a mix of ladino and crimson clover, winter wheat, buck oats, and turnips. everything is great, except the junk grass is going to take over come spring. it is a mixture of bahia, crab, johnson, dallis, and bermuda.

the clover will be great looking until the grass really starts to put out in late spring.. so i need something to control the grass.

what do you guys use for grass herbicides that wont effect my broadleafs? i've seen poast plus as one of the highly recommended. suggestions?

creativomjh

thanks! what rates have you used in the past? from a brief scan through their product manual, it seems like 12 oz/acre will do the job (recommends 6-16 oz/acre for clover)

12 oz/acre - clethodim
12 oz/acre - crop oil conc.
10 gallon min. mixture volume/acre

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:

PickettSFHunter

Its not really an issue of gallons per acre as long as you get at least 10 gpa, its an issue of coverage of active ingredient per acre. Depends on your pump, sprayer, speed, etc. how many gallons per acre you need to put out to achieve desired rate be that 12 oz/acre, 16 oz/acre or whatever. It would be best to calibrate your sprayer. Just google sprayer calibration and you should find instructions.

JChunts

smstone22 said:
Its not really an issue of gallons per acre as long as you get at least 10 gpa, its an issue of coverage of active ingredient per acre. Depends on your pump, sprayer, speed, etc. how many gallons per acre you need to put out to achieve desired rate be that 12 oz/acre, 16 oz/acre or whatever. It would be best to calibrate your sprayer. Just google sprayer calibration and you should find instructions.

^^^This. With being in the chemical business it's not the amount of chemical you use; it is how you apply it.

MickThompson

If you can get by Jackson, your local TWRA private lands biologist should have a box of measuring cups (for free) that will walk you through the entire process. His name is Chris Hunter and he is based in the NRCS Area Office. Even if he is out, which will likely be the case, someone should be able to get you one. I have done it with pto driven sprayers and 25 gal atv sprayers.

Same goes for everyone else- look up your local private land bios- you are paying their salaries, get your money's worth

Edit: Dr Craig Harper almost always votes clethodim over sethoxydim. And always read the label of the herbicide you want to use.

creativomjh

good suggestion, thanks!

MickThompson said:
If you can get by Jackson, your local TWRA private lands biologist should have a box of measuring cups (for free) that will walk you through the entire process. His name is Chris Hunter and he is based in the NRCS Area Office. Even if he is out, which will likely be the case, someone should be able to get you one. I have done it with pto driven sprayers and 25 gal atv sprayers.

Same goes for everyone else- look up your local private land bios- you are paying their salaries, get your money's worth

Edit: Dr Craig Harper almost always votes clethodim over sethoxydim. And always read the label of the herbicide you want to use.