Grant Woods

diamond hunter

Today I caught my first coyote in a steel trap.I saw Grant Woods say"the order of importance of my property management is 1.quality cover2.food 3.predator control.I think that was the order.Those of you who do trap and shoot coyotes,did you see a noticible impact on fawn production?Rabbits and quail?The whole trapping of coyotes thing is fun and I think it has to be helpful.Ideas?Thoughts?

Bucks & Beards

Congrats. I followed some of his recommendations and trapped some coons last year with those dog proof traps. But gotta know what you are doing to catch a coyote.

Clint.C

I tell all my clients that it is like any other part of their managment program.
You must keep records!! Fawn recruitment data, habitat change data, predator data, etc. If not, it's all guesswork.

We have personally seen that it not only affects the fawn recruitment, but also reducing the stress makes for a healthier and also more huntable deer herd.

We have found that it can be SITE SPECIFIC. One area it makes big changes and the other, not so much.

But, it is a great excuse to spend a little more time in the outdoors!!

BSK

Clint.C said:
We have found that it can be SITE SPECIFIC. One area it makes big changes and the other, not so much.

I find the same thing--very site specific results. Predator reduction programs can produce great improvements in fawn survival, or they can provide virtually no improvement. For that reason, I don't make blanket recommendations about predator reduction programs. They might help; they might not.

Planking

I have seen a huge improvement with quail from trapping. I use the heck out of cage traps. Every time i set a leg hold for coyotes i catch a bobcat and they just aren't fun to let loose. I have read about using a rubbermaid tub for this so i may give it another go. Trapping is alot of fun but im still trying to learn the coyote.

Clint.C

We have seen that turkeys gobble better also when you remove the predator stress.
Planking- hang in there with the yotes, it will come. And sometimes its nothing your doing wrong, just have to wait on them to come through!

Swampster

Planking, can you post a video of letting a bobcat loose? I've shot a few, but can't imagine having anything to do with a live one.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
Predator reduction programs can produce great improvements in fawn survival, or they can provide virtually no improvement. . . . . They might help; they might not.
But can reducing the predators "do any harm"?

I see no reason not to take reasonable measures to reduce coyote populations specifically on all sites. :)

scn

diamond hunter said:
I use MB550 traps,I have 12.Basic dirthole set using coyote urine on the backing,a piece of sheeps wool in the hole with lure.I trap where I find sign.Right now,look for a pile of persimmon seeds in yote crap.

I'm not a trapping expert. However, from their website, the MB550 traps do not appear to be cushion jawed traps and would be ILLEGAL for dirt sets for coyotes in TN.

diamond hunter

For $5.00 each,the mb550 jaws are replaced with their cushioned jaws.You are correct that the normal mb550 isn't legal.They must be converted and Minnesota Trap sells the replacement jaws.Thanks for the clarification for those who don't know.

scn

diamond hunter said:
For $5.00 each,the mb550 jaws are replaced with their cushioned jaws.You are correct that the normal mb550 isn't legal.They must be converted and Minnesota Trap sells the replacement jaws.Thanks for the clarification for those who don't know.

Thank you for the information as well.

I hope you catch them all!

SEC

It is truly amazing how much a 180lb whitetail respects a 17lb bobcat. I saw several cats during muzzleloader season. You wanna talk about something putting on a deer drive for you. They will get the deer on there feet for sure.