Cluttered Woods

NewGuy

I have a Forestry Professional coming out next weekend to walk my property with me. We own about 28 acres with 24 being wooded. It's on a hill with a lot of rock so we end up with a decent amount of Oak and Cedar.

We had a storm come through recently and I now have even more debris on the ground. Im curious if it's best to leave this stuff on the ground or to start gathering and burning the smaller deadfall.

My hope is that I can improve the forage for deer to keep them around.
32300136-0578-439F-ACC4-4AAE82EDBCFD.jpeg
D72CD387-09A3-4E0B-89A5-E91AC39888CC.jpeg

Big Pop

Thicker the better as far as I'm concerned. Unless your canopy doesn't allow much sunlight through to the forest floor.

DoubleRidge

Cut the cedar and allow more sunlight to the forest floor....cedar is robbing sunlight and moisture....Also cut any trees that are crowding your oaks and release the crown....give them room to grow and produce more mast....and if possible after the downed cedars are dry run fire through the area to generate the maximum amount forage....you can reach out to the TN Forestry Dept and they can assist you with burning for a fee...but your starting out on the right foot by consulting with a Forester. Make it clear to him or her that your number one goal is to maximize your property for wildlife habitat....good luck on your project.... managing habitat and watching wildlife respond is very rewarding.

Last edited:

knightrider

A chainsaw is your best friend, thin out the junk and let the oaks have all the sunlight and room, it will improve the ground as well letting sunlight in, a good control burn would help as well