Got started today

woodyard

Got some potatoes, cabbage plants and broccoli plants planted today. Pretty early for me. Sprayed all of my garden area last week with glyphosphate to kill the annua poa that had it covered. Got the tractor tiller out yesterday and ran over it a few times and a few more today. Got it into pretty fair shape and dried out some with the wind and the sun. I had rather not have it in too fine a shape this time of year to allow for for the big rains we will probably keep getting. Will wait for dryer soil before I till up the rest of it.
Started some tomato and pepper seed in the greenhouse yesterday.
I am officially growing now.

DaveB

What variety tater you planting? You use them for......

You figure you'll get broccoli before it bolts? I have NEVER harvested a single piece of broccoli. What variety?

I got to get a patch over in the ag-center. will jump on that tomorrow.

woodyard

We planted some Kennebecs,Red Orlando and Nokota Russet on the potatoes. Some my wife found at our Tractor Supply. I usually go with Red Pontiac and Kennebec.Not many places around here to choose too much in varieties anymore.

The broccoli was from Bonnie's Plants and Lieutenant variety, since this was a hurry up deal. With the rain we have every year it usually a race if I can get any of the early vegs in at the best time. I usually get a crop every year, but raise my own plants. Last year I believe it was Emerald Green. Made a lot of cabbage last year too from plants I raised Flat Dutch and one other.

I had a lot rather raise my own plants and be pretty sure of the varieties I am getting especially in tomatoes and peppers. About half the time in the past the plants I get that are from Bonnie's turn out not to be what is on the label.

Latest posts