Got one this morning..

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
But El Diablo still lives.

Only three birds gobbled today, all of them in their usual spots off my property. I ended up setting up pretty exactly where I was yesterday morning as it is the best spot for them to cross the creek on to my place. This one gobbled good on the roost, and he had a very talkative hen with him, and I fully concentrated on her. She flew down probably 15 minutes before he did, and all the while we are talking back and forth. As soon as he flys down he goes silent, but her and I are trying to figure out who's the boss. She suddenly goes quiet and I really think she is going to come over…sure enough I see her bee bopping through the understory and he's just a few paces behind. In thirty seconds they are across the creek and he's laying dead at 35 yards. When I got to him I thought "oh no, I killed another jake!" because his beard was only about 3" long. It was just beard rot as his spurs are pretty close to 1".

Now I need to get one of my girls to get out with me…"no, I'm too tired" is all I hear so far from the one who wants to go. I give her some slack as her twin sister is getting married in four days.

Latest posts