Got handed a L.C. Smith Shotgun

TN Whitetail Freak

Never heard of one but it's a side by side shotgun with 2 hammers. My question is how to clean up the rust on the barrel it looks pretty corroded the guy who owned it is almost 90 I dk how old the gun is.

KPH

I am thinking it was made to shoot the old paper shells witch was not as tight as the modern plastic. My dad had one I could shoot the plastic in but had to knock them out with a stick I carried with me.

GreyGoose

got one hanging in my boys room at his grandparents.it was hanging in my room while i was growing up.dont know much about them but its a cool old shotgun.i would never try shooting it though.

bigtex

Nice old shotgun. LC Smith's are expensive!! You have a collectors item there.
It does have Damascus barrels so I personally would not shoot modern shells in it. Some say you can some say you can't I would err on the safe side.
Nice find nonetheless.

mr.big

soak it in Kroil and wipe with a rag,,dont use any abrassive at all,,it is worth more and looks better with rust than it would shined up and scratched in the metal,,just let the oil get what it can and leave the rest.

7mm08

My Dad had an old Parker 10g with "rabbit ears" that was in better shape as in without the rust , and his had the Damascus steel wrapped barrels too. He sold it for $500 eventually. Most in that condition are considered "wallhangers". There are some beautiful Foxes, Parker's and L.C. Smiths out there. I would love to have a nice one but can't justify the price you pay for these American works of art to beat up in the grouse woods.

Latest posts