Got drawn for Cheatham Quota (both weekends). Will be my first time ever… Help!

NewCoonTrapper

Hey all…. I was invited to be part of group and. we got drawn for both Cheatham hunts.

This will be my first time deer hunting. Please give me any tips you can.

I am an avid outdoorsman, love fishing. and hog hunting but this is all new and I am looking forward to the whole process including harvesting.

I live in rutherford county so cant scout every night so any tips appreciated. I will def keep everyone posted!

driver

I have been hunting at Cheatham WMA for the past 18 years. I live only about 20 miles away from it. The deer population is improving; Cheatham was severely affected by EHD back in 2008, but it is gradually recovering. The challenging terrain is what makes hunting at Cheatham so difficult. It features many extremely steep ridges. If you happen to shoot a deer, I hope it doesn't run down one of those steep draws. I have spotted several nice bucks there, and that's what motivates me to keep returning. Sorry I don't have a good recommendation on where to hunt. Unfortunately, the person who manages the area is somewhat unpleasant, so I'd suggest avoiding interactions with him. Many individuals, myself included, have had negative encounters with him.

NewCoonTrapper

Thanks for the heads up..

May I ask what Caliber rifle you use? and are you typically stalk hunting or hunting from a stand.

Trying to wrap my head around the process.

driver

I exclusively use a muzzleloader for hunting. My preferred method involves hunting from a chair blind; I've even had deer approach and stick their heads in it. In my experience, the most effective approach to hunting deer in Cheatham is to locate their bedding areas and then intercept them as they enter or exit these areas. Additionally, Cheatham is home to a significant coyote population. I've managed to take down several coyotes while deer hunting in that area.

Livin2hunt

I've hunted Cheatham for close to 35 years. Killed some nice deer there. PM me tomorrow sometime and I can get u some spots to check out. I haven't hunted down there over the past few years since I'm leasing property closer to home. They locked most of the gates on the logging roads and made it difficult to get to some of the locations I used to hunt. It was rough walking 2 miles in down logging roads and then go down those ridges and come back out at night. As was said the ridges are big and steep. I was drawn for 2 hunts down there as well this year.

NewCoonTrapper

I exclusively use a muzzleloader for hunting. My preferred method involves hunting from a chair blind; I've even had deer approach and stick their heads in it. In my experience, the most effective approach to hunting deer in Cheatham is to locate their bedding areas and then intercept them as they enter or exit these areas. Additionally, Cheatham is home to a significant coyote population. I've managed to take down several coyotes while deer hunting in that area.
wouldnt mind taking out a few yotes too

tahtah

I will add that if you get out there before it gets cold, even after, but more so now, keep and eye out where you step or put your hands. I see quite a few copperheads and rattle snakes out there.

And of course, permethrin is your friend. Those pesky ticks are everywhere.

Latest posts