good luck last night.

eddie c

quick photo here, story (if anyone is interested) later.

bowseason08027.jpg

LCU

I am more than impressed with anyone killing deer with anything less than a modern compound bow.
Nice shooting.

eddie c

I got a few minutes here at work so here we go with the story.

first let me say, this was on public land within sight of my office. I try to head out after work ever chance I get. the spot I picked out to hang an old stand that I dont care if someone takes it(like they did last year after season was over), I located during late season/post season scounting last January.
this was the second time this year I hunted this spot( i got 3 picked out). I got in the stand about 5:10, checked the GPS for sunset time, 6:12. good I thought 1 to 1-1/2 hrs to hunt. about 6:30 I had just thought about getting ready to head out when they showed up, all 6 of them with at least one fawn in the bunch. they were not wasting any time. I picked this one out and she got thru my first shot window too fast and briefly stopped in the second one. NOTE: I SAID BRIEFLY! right when I dropped the string she started trotting again and I noticed gut shot and thought I saw the arrow drop out of her side on the run. the rest of the deer just stood there. I actually had to run them off before I got out of the stand. I took a compass reading of the last place I saw her. after I got down I checked the shot site, no arrow. after replaying the shot 3 times(in the dark it isnt an easy thing to do) I located blood.
Note to everyone, the blood light on the Gerber light is useless, but you know that. as long as the batteries are strong the white light aint too bad.

Ok, back to the story. I was slightly surprised at the amount of blood that was on the ground for the shot placement. actually more shocked. I was able to follow it pretty well but was still wondering where my arrow was. then I reconized a certain group of cedar trees and briar patch and that triggered my worse fear, she was heading to some of the thickest mess in the area. about that time there was a big spot of blood and I had a sick feeling that I jumped her from her bed and she made it to the thick mess. 10 yards later there she was. the BH had cut a 1" deep gash in the front of the ham, entered the pauch and was resting on the far side hide, arrow was not broken. the arrow had done the 'picket fence' routine on all the trees and brush, cutting an artery. found her at 8pm with the coyotes hollering while I was feild dressing.
for reference in size, my longbow is 66" long.

LCU

Good story eddiec
Have you considered lit nocks?
Took me a while to find a combo that works,but I don't spend a lot of time looking for them.

Great to see you hunting with that bow. It's a beauty.

eddie c

Yes I have considered and tried lighted nocks. since I am using Carbon Express shafts I bought a couple of CE lighted nocks. they broke after 3 shots, literally broke. not good considering I am shooting a longbow, hate to see that happen on a compound.
then I tried to make some like what was shown on here back in the summer. still working on some issues with those.
but I am not going to pay another $10 each for them things.

LCU

eddiec
I agree lit nocks can be a headache.
I almost gave up on them until I found a combo that works for me.

Carbon Express Maxima's
B&C Luminocks ( to fit CE arrows ).

I bought the CE lit nocks and had problems, and read other did also.

The is the only combo I have found that turns on when it should and not when it should not be lit.

I have real problems finding arrows. I can track an animal fine,but arrows are invisible to my eyes.
Maybe it's because im 51 years old.

You still have not said what distance you shot your doe at.
What broadhead?
Also what is the Draw weight of your bow?
Because of no let off, do you shoot right after drawing for a shot?

eddie c

"You still have not said what distance you shot your doe at."
approx. 15 steps from the tree. I set a trophy rock at 18 steps from the tree on purpose.

"What broadhead?" G5 Montec. I am fond of snuffers but I found a deal on these heads so I am trying them. The Montec I used on the 5pt opening morning(10 steps) went thru ribs on both sides. I was surprised there wasnt a pass thru on this deer. I became a fan of cut on contact heads about 18-20 years ago.

"Also what is the Draw weight of your bow?"
52@28" I draw close to that.

"Because of no let off, do you shoot right after drawing for a shot?"
I generally shoot right when I hit anchor on shots under 20 steps. on targets in the back yard, I shoot at a 30 step target,I will generally hold for no more than 2 seconds. I line my arrows up as I draw. I have some buddies that draw first then line the arrow up, they may hold 5 secs or more. I tried that and I miss the spot more than the way I do it. I have noticed the longer I anchor, the more I think, the more I think the more I mess up. If I just go ahead and 'do' the task at hand I do better.

4onaside

Hey Eddie,
I am intriged with the location of your great hunt that is "public land" and "within sight of your office", JEA? The only "public land" in our fair city that I know of that is deer habitat is The Forked Deer WMA on 412. Do I get a cigar?

eddie c

4onaside said:
Hey Eddie,
I am intriged with the location of your great hunt that is "public land" and "within sight of your office", JEA? The only "public land" in our fair city that I know of that is deer habitat is The Forked Deer WMA on 412. Do I get a cigar?

nope, no ciggie. :grin: ok, you know where I work, do I know you? you may be surprised what is around here.

4onaside

I am absolutely no threat to being in "your" spot for two reasons. Number one, I no longer bow hunt And, #2, my Tennessee deer hunting is EXLUSIVELY on my own place in Decatur county, 49 miles from my Jackson home, and will be until they plant me. And, no, you don't know me. You mentioned your employer on a post after the February tornado. The only reason that I asked is that I am always interested in what is going on in areas about which I am very familiar. I know that the city is laced with Whitetails. The "public land" is the part that got my interest up.

eddie c

4onaside, I wouldnt consider you a threat to 'our' spot (public land ya know). there are actually 4 such places in Madison county. tried to send you a PM but you are MAXed out.

Latest posts