So far so good!

Smo

Today was my third day of shooting my long bow.

I had rotator cuff surgery in 6/ 17 and I'm just now getting the full use of the shoulder back.

It sure feels good to sling a few arrows , even if they are carbon. LOL

I just wanted to Thank everyone again for the replies on the bamboo thread.

Smo

I getting there !

Most everything is high left right now.

I think it maybe due to leather wrap around the bows riser.

I'm still playing with my canting the bow different amounts too.

The high issue is just me .... I think. LOL

My bow is a bamboo backed Hickory longbow that's 65 1/2" long.
Seems like there's some kind of Walnut shim or something in the riser portion as well.

I'm currently shooting 32 1/2 " Gold Tip Trad shafts 500 spine .

I'm shooting with all three fingers below the shaft.

My bow is pulling 48- 50 lbs at full draw.

This leaves around 3" of shaft in front of the riser.

My brace height is @ 7" which I measured to the center portion of the riser...
should that be to the back of the riser?

I'm only shooting at 15 yards for now and seems to be getting the tail of the arrow whipping up about half way to the target.
Isn't that caused from my string nock point being too high?

I'm 1/2" above centerline of the bow with the nock, I'm thinking I used to only go a 1/4" above or maybe it was an 1/8" .
It's been a long time.

Sorry for being so long winded , but I haven't shot a bow in years and I don't recall all the ends and outs of shooting.

And this is my first Longbow , but I've mostly always even shot compounds instinctively .

eddie c

i think most measure the brace height from the face side (string side). just make sure you are consistent on your measuring point. brace height is adjustable and part of the tuning process so when you get it settled in make a note. i've written mine on the lower limb so when i replace the string or have to remove the current string, i know where to go back to. i also will mark a dot on my arrow for quick checks.

brace height, nockset placement and clean release will have an affect on your arrow flight. just have to play with it some. proper arrows will have affect too. i think you have a good choice on your arrows, dont worry too much about having 3" extra. i would try lowering the nockset some, a little at a time, to see if flight improves.

remember, you have to tune the bow to you. my advise is to listen to suggestions, try them out to see if they work for you.

Smo

I added the nock and it did seem to help with the kicking up of the tail of my arrows.

I adjusted the brace height to 7" to the back (string side) of the riser.

My groups are getting smaller day by day.

southernhunter

I habe never been able to get all the nock high out of my bare shafts . Probably due to something with my release. However I have been able to get my bare shafts and fletched shafts to group together for the most part. I have learned sometimes a nock high really isn't , if the bow is canted a weak/ stiff spine arrow can appear to be nock high. There for giveing you a fit with you nocking point adjustment. I have found for myself 1/2 about shelve gives me the best flight. I have heard of ppl measuring brace height multiple ways but it seems the most consistent way is to measure from the string to the deepest part of the grip. I think the manufacturer determines the correct meathod for measureing their particular bows. I know on my bear recurve the suggested brace height was 7 to 8 inches . I found it to shoot the best for me at 8 1/4 however it was stated that going over suggested brace height would voided the warranty.

Latest posts