Gil's "New Fleet" of cameras!!! Lookout.

FIREMANJIM

Here is Mr. Gil Lackey's new fleet of cameras I just built him. Gil always gets some phenominal shots with the little 4mp P41's he used to run. Well lookout guys. Now he is running a couple 16mp Sony DSC-H70's. So talk about upping your game. He also added a Fast Hacked S600 6mp as well. So let the games begin. The H70's are paired with a LCD Field Marshal Sniper Control Board with a High Performance Wide Angle Fresnels. Cases have the Timber Ghost Camo and Pipe thrus for the Python Security cables.
IMG_20140609_154458_741_zpsbcyabl2j.jpg

IMG_20140609_154540_816_zps1rzlidro.jpg

IMG_20140609_154556_666_zpszazknlf7.jpg

IMG_20140609_154610_493_zpsaqmakujp.jpg

TheLBLman

BSK said:
Almost miss the days of homebrew cams.

...almost!
Why "miss" them?

I'm looking at going back to mostly homebrews myself.
At the same time tech advancements have been happening in commercial trail cams, Jim has been making them with homebrews.

IMO, about the only thing any commercial cam has over today's homebrews is a little better price on black-flash units. Meanwhile, these homebrews have trigger speeds comparable to or faster than most commercially-sold cams.

For me, the really big advantage of homebrews is much better picture quality. And they CAN be used in time-lapse or "plotwatcher" mode as well. Just need a big SD card.

FIREMANJIM

Trigger is 1.28 seconds on the H70's. The two H70's of Gil's will do Trailmaster mode, feeder mode with 6 adjustable times, time lapse mode, hd daytime video in 1080p HD. Very versatile unit and a true 16mp so you can actually zoom in on those deer out in the food plots.

TheLBLman

FIREMANJIM said:
. . . . . true 16mp so you can actually zoom in on those deer out in the food plots.
THAT's what I'm talkin' about! :)
And that's what you really NEED if you want to tell much about a deer over 50 yards away. Or, maybe, you just prefer crystal-clear high-resolution pics on deer that are only a few feet away.

gil1

Thanks, Jim! I'm pumped about the new cams!
The third cam started out as my own build. I got about halfway in, had twins, and decided to let the pro finish it up.

FYI - The 16 MP H70s supposedly have poor flashes, which is a good thing for me. One of the biggest problems I have is flashes that are too strong. The average distance my cams are from my subjects is about 2 1/2 feet. Anything past about six feet is worthless to me. I want to see the color of their eyes and every wrinkle.

Trigger speed, as long as it's within a few seconds, isn't all that important to me either. I'm not photographing walking subjects (too blurry). They are all standing over an area I have baited in some way, usually using pheromones of some sort.

Lastly, although I understand their niche in the cam world, I have no use for black flash cameras. Not only do they blow out every single closeup even at their lowest settings, but the photo quality is horrible compared to white flash. I know taking a quality photo isn't the goal for many folks, but I can't sell a black and white night picture or a blurry/grainy photo. I am not spending all that money to take horrible photos when there's zero reason to (for me, at least). Using irresistible scents keeps most critters in front of the cam long enough despite the flash.

So I'll be the guinea pig on the H70s and post some photos to let y'all see if the change-up was a good one. Thanks again, Jim!

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
Almost miss the days of homebrew cams.

...almost!
Why "miss" them?

1) So far, I haven't seen a homebrew black-flash that is true black-flash.

2) The digital cameras homebrews are made from are too slow on follow-up pictures (burst mode). In essence, they take too long to write each picture to the card.

3) I haven't seen a homebrew board that has the options many of the commercial cams now come with (number of burst mode pictures, variety of delay settings, etc.).

4) Having powerful flash extenders available that only cost $90 and are controlled directly by the camera and which run all season on 4 D-cells is a big one for me.