Ridgetec Lookout

puppy

Would like to hear from someone who actually has one, give me the good/bad/ ugly rundown, not from reviews. Also, if have a Ridgetec and any another "black flash" cell cam which do you recommend?

Thanks

TheLBLman

The Ridgetec Lookout has become my "go-to" cell cam.
Much more feature rich, more options
than any Browning or Tactacam.
The "Lookout" is also invisible black flash, while most of the Brownings & Tactacams are not.

I'm currently running a variety of Browning & Tactacam cell cams,
along with 4 Ridgetec Lookouts. I have several units of every cell model Browning makes except their most recent one, as well as Tactacam's originals and Tactacam's "best" Reveal X-Pro.

The Ridgetec is possibly the best value out there for an experienced user.
It may not be as simple to operate as a Tactacam,
but is far superior overall.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Ridgetec will upload EVERY pic your cam takes, not just 1 of 3, 1 of 2, etc.
And, when you do a remote settings change, you can count on it to be changed,
and changed soon, rather than 24 hrs later.

The reliability & timeliness of setting changes is important to me because I typically change settings each morning & each evening, setting for more daytime pics, fewer nighttime pics. Nighttime flash uses a lot of your battery life, so you can extend battery life a good bit by doing something as simple as going from 3 pics per event during day, then 2 pics per event during night.

Ridgetec has the lowest cost ongoing cell plans,
especially if you're running 3 or more.
Much less costly than either Browning or Tactacam.

But, each brand seems to have their own and different pros & cons.
I like the fact that I can (at any time, remotely, instantly) delete pics from the card with Browning,
but not with Ridgetec. But then Ridgetec has a field-scan mode,
along with much more advanced setting options.

Ridgetecs will accept an SD card up to 64gb, Browning up to 512gb, and Tactacam only up to 32gb.
If you're running cell cams in video mode, you really should be using at least a 64gb card. With still pics, your batteries will likely die before you fill a 32gb with any of these brands.

As to battery life, the Ridgetecs are generally not as good as the Brownings, but better than the Tactacams. Of these 3 brands, I've seen nothing provide better value in battery life than the Browning Pro Scout, which uses only 8 AAs, yet batteries last (with similar usage) over twice as long as either Ridgetec or Tactacam (both of which require 12 AAs). Actually, you best use at least a 64gb sd card in the Browning Pro Scout, as it will fill a 32gb card before the batteries die.

It can be difficult to compare different brands (and models) of cell cams
"apples to apples" simply because each brand tends to do things
differently.

Tactacam doesn't let you instantly view pics on your laptop,
while Browning & Ridgetec instantly upload to both your phone & your laptop. One of my many "beefs" with Tactacam is that it is Android phone based, rather than web based, meaning I can only do things on my phone with Tactacams. With Browning & Ridgetec, you have a choice of using either your laptop computer or your phone.

There are also "sweet spots" with different brands' monthly cell plans,
as to whether you get a better deal running only 1 or maybe such as 4 or 6 cams.

Tactacam is among the cheapest for 1 cam, among the most expensive for 3 or more.
Ridgetec is the lowest cost with 3 or more.
Browning is somewhere in between, and actually relatively expensive if you run 7 or more.
By contrast, Ridgetec just keeps giving you a significantly better deal the more you add. Long as it stays this way, all my new cell cams are going to be Ridgetecs.

Last edited:

puppy

Ridgetec will upload EVERY pic your cam takes, not just 1 of 3, 1 of 2, etc.
And, when you do a remote settings change, you can count on it to be changed,
and changed soon, rather than 24 hrs later.

The reliability & timeliness of setting changes is important to me because I typically change settings each morning & each evening, setting for more daytime pics, fewer nighttime pics. Nighttime flash uses a lot of your battery life, so you can extend battery life a good bit by doing something as simple as going from 3 pics per event during day, then 2 pics per event during night.

Ridgetec has the lowest cost ongoing cell plans,
especially if you're running 3 or more.
Much less costly than either Browning or Tactacam.

But, each brand seems to have their own and different pros & cons.
I like the fact that I can (at any time, remotely, instantly) delete pics from the card with Browning,
but not with Ridgetec. But then Ridgetec has a field-scan mode,
along with much more advanced setting options.

Ridgetecs will accept an SD card up to 64gb, Browning up to 512gb, and Tactacam only up to 32gb.
If you're running cell cams in video mode, you really should be using at least a 64gb card. With still pics, your batteries will likely die before you fill a 32gb with any of these brands.

As to battery life, the Ridgetecs are generally not as good as the Brownings, but better than the Tactacams. Of these 3 brands, I've seen nothing provide better value in battery life than the Browning Pro Scout, which uses only 8 AAs, yet batteries last (with similar usage) over twice as long as either Ridgetec or Tactacam (both of which require 12 AAs). Actually, you best use at least a 64gb sd card in the Browning Pro Scout, as it will fill a 32gb card before the batteries die.

It can be difficult to compare different brands (and models) of cell cams
"apples to apples" simply because each brand tends to do things
differently.

Tactacam doesn't let you instantly view pics on your laptop,
while Browning & Ridgetec instantly upload to both your phone & your laptop. One of my many "beefs" with Tactacam is that it is Android phone based, rather than web based, meaning I can only do things on my phone with Tactacams. With Browning & Ridgetec, you have a choice of using either your laptop computer or your phone.

There are also "sweet spots" with different brands' monthly cell plans,
as to whether you get a better deal running only 1 or maybe such as 4 or 6 cams.

Tactacam is among the cheapest for 1 cam, among the most expensive for 3 or more.
Ridgetec is the lowest cost with 3 or more.
Browning is somewhere in between, and actually relatively expensive if you run 7 or more.
By contrast, Ridgetec just keeps giving you a significantly better deal the more you add. Long as it stays this way, all my new cell cams are going to be Ridgetecs.
You apparently have one or more so do you consider the Ridgetec a true "black flash" camera and what kind of flash range are you seeing in real life? I had a Gen 1 Tactacam and got great flash range but it was like driving into a Walmart parking lot, especially on video mode. I don't put a lot of faith into a flash range test under controlled conditions like TrailCam Pro does either. I have Browning Spec Ops HP 4 & 5 and love them but have one spot that I don't visit often that would like to put a cell cam on but will need to be black flash,
Thanks

TheLBLman

You apparently have one or more so do you consider the Ridgetec a true "black flash" camera and what kind of flash range are you seeing in real life?
As previously stated, I have 4 of the Ridgetec Lookouts currently in use,
and, yes, it is true invisible "black" flash, and the range is very good.

I have Browning Spec Ops HP 4 & 5 and love them but have one spot that I don't visit often that would like to put a cell cam on but will need to be black flash
IMO, those Browning Spec Ops HP 4 & 5's may very well be the best overall value out there when it comes to non-cell trail cams. I really like them, and that's all I currently plan to add to the non-cell lineup in the future. They particularly shine above their competitors in video mode & battery life.

Most of the Browning cell models currently on the market are not black flash.
However, they have a "low" setting that deer typically cannot see.
I can highly recommend the Browning Pro Scout (flash set to "low" or "economy") in lieu of a true black flash cam. If used in video mode, I would want true black flash.

Around a year ago, Browning did come out with a true black flash model called the RidgeLINE. These have an internal antennae, and don't seem to get reception as well as other models, so therefore, I cannot recommend them unless you have really good cell service.

By contrast, the Ridgetec Lookout does well in poor reception, in part due to its dual external antennae, which can be easily extended (as high as you want) with an optional easily attached cable.

But, the Browning Pro Scout and the Tactacams all seem to work in poor service areas, typically uploading pics when I can't even get service on my phone. The only model I've had reception issues with over the past few years (limited to these 3 brands) has been the Browning RidgeLINE. I also have 4 of the Browning RidgeLINES, and really like them, just can't place them in low reception areas.

puppy

IMO, those Browning Spec Ops HP 4 & 5's may very well be the best overall value out there when it comes to non-cell trail cams. I really like them, and that's all I currently plan to add to the non-cell lineup in the future. They particularly shine above their competitors in video mode & battery life.

I can highly recommend the Browning Pro Scout (flash set to "low" or "economy") in lieu of a true black flash cam. If used in video mode, I would want true black flash.

Around a year ago, Browning did come out with a true black flash model called the RidgeLINE. These have an internal antennae, and don't seem to get reception as well as other models, so therefore, I cannot recommend them unless you have really good cell service.

By contrast, the Ridgetec Lookout does well in poor reception, in part due to its dual external antennae, which can be easily extended (as high as you want) with an optional easily attached cable.

But, the Browning Pro Scout and the Tactacams all seem to work in poor service areas, typically uploading pics when I can't even get service on my phone. The only model I've had reception issues with over the past few years (limited to these 3 brands) has been the Browning RidgeLINE. I also have 4 of the Browning RidgeLINES, and really like them, just can't place them in low reception areas.
Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the Ridgetec but am also looking at a Blackgate R4G which seems to fit all my requirements, but it is very small company and can't seem to find samples of their video quality anywhere, currently waiting on response back from them for a sample or two to look at. I am not desperate to purchase right now so I can afford to make sure I think I am getting the best available.

Roost 1

Where do you buy your Ridgetec cams?

TheLBLman

Where do you buy your Ridgetec cams?
I get most from www.trailcampro.com

Many the accessories will more likely be in stock here

I believe that in Canada, the most popular trail cams in use may be the Ridgetecs, as that seems to be where they got their following, and perform well in extreme cold weather.

TheLBLman

At twice the price, one would expect it to be better than the Tactacams!
Totally agree.

However, if these cams have a useful life of only a couple years,
you'll get much of the Ridgetec's extra up-front costs back from their significantly lower cost monthly service plans.

Tactacam may only be able to have a relatively low price up front because they're relatively highly on their monthly service plans, especially if you're running 3 or more cell cams.

There is a learning curve in figuring out Ridgetec's differences, and in taking advantage of the features, but once you get past that, they likely become your most "go-to" cam. For me, the monthly service plan of 4 Ridgetecs has been comparable to the monthly service plans of 2 to 3 Tactacams, and that's with less limitations on the Ridgetecs (essentially unlimited pics).

But again, there are aspects with Ridgetecs I don't like as much as Browning cell cams, and vice-versa. As I review pics daily, I like to delete most pics not worth saving, and that will be most pics, no matter what cell cam being used. Ridgetec's software will allow you to delete off the their server (what you see), but they're not deleted from the physical SD card in the actual cell cam. By contrast, with Browning, the pics you delete daily on their server, are also deleted from the physical SD card in the cell cam.

So when you pull your SD cards from the cam, the Browning will just have what I thought worth saving, requiring little review, while the Ridgetec card requires a lot of time (for me) in deciding which ones are worth keeping. Yes, you can download the best pics daily (to your computer or phone) as you go, as a work-around this with the Ridgetecs.

Trnr

Lots of good points in the discussion so I won't repeat some of the other items pointed. I've got one and have been using it for 2 years. I love it. Fast trigger, tons of options for customization of settings, and very reliable IMO. My only complaint thus far is that some of the day time photos can be grainy. Has not been an issue for me with night time photos.

Also, +1 for Trail Cam Pro. GREAT customer service, and they honor their word.

Here's some real world photo examples. I'll see if I can dig up some of the grainy ones I was talking about

Attachments

• 57C8706F-0ED4-4378-9141-575C0DFF80C7.jpeg
    57C8706F-0ED4-4378-9141-575C0DFF80C7.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 83347A66-3BCD-455A-A175-201366CA76A7.jpeg
    83347A66-3BCD-455A-A175-201366CA76A7.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 0BBDD021-B4BE-44EB-B032-74EC7D3F4742.jpeg
    0BBDD021-B4BE-44EB-B032-74EC7D3F4742.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 44

wantabe

Are your ridgetec night pics really grainy? I bought this cam after trailcampro said it has excellent night time pics, but mine are grainy no matter the settings

TheLBLman

Are your ridgetec night pics really grainy? I bought this cam after trailcampro said it has excellent night time pics, but mine are grainy no matter the settings
I find the Ridgetec night pics very acceptable.

True black flash cams will tend to be a bit "grainier" than the more common "red glow" flash.
Often, the user disappointment comes from comparing a black flash cam to a red flash cam's images.

Everything is a trade-off.
If you're mainly using your cams for deer pics & security,
black flash is usually more asset than liability,
even though the flash range isn't as far as red glow,
and the black flash images will not be as clear as red glow.

Also, every brand & model seems to choose some subtle differences on their camera settings (some of which you may be able to override, some you cannot).

One of these items (typically set by the manufacturer) is shutter speed.
A slower shutter speed will extend nighttime flash range,
but also causes more blurring on anything that moves.

A faster shutter speed is ideal for capturing license plate numbers on a moving vehicle, but may under-perform in most other applications (whether day or night).

Many cams will provide you some user choices, enabling you to somewhat circumvent a slow nighttime shutter speed. For example, if you have a flash option for "Long Range" vs "Balanced", you may find less blurring on "Balanced", but no image at all at greater nighttime distances.

Again, each brand/model can be different, and to some degree, you will usually get what you pay for, i.e. the brands/models with cheaper up-front cost, tend to have fewer settings options, fewer features, shorter longevity.

wantabe

I find the Ridgetec night pics very acceptable.

True black flash cams will tend to be a bit "grainier" than the more common "red glow" flash.
Often, the user disappointment comes from comparing a black flash cam to a red flash cam's images.

Everything is a trade-off.
If you're mainly using your cams for deer pics & security,
black flash is usually more asset than liability,
even though the flash range isn't as far as red glow,
and the black flash images will not be as clear as red glow.

Also, every brand & model seems to choose some subtle differences on their camera settings (some of which you may be able to override, some you cannot).

One of these items (typically set by the manufacturer) is shutter speed.
A slower shutter speed will extend nighttime flash range,
but also causes more blurring on anything that moves.

A faster shutter speed is ideal for capturing license plate numbers on a moving vehicle, but may under-perform in most other applications (whether day or night).

Many cams will provide you some user choices, enabling you to somewhat circumvent a slow nighttime shutter speed. For example, if you have a flash option for "Long Range" vs "Balanced", you may find less blurring on "Balanced", but no image at all at greater nighttime distances.

Again, each brand/model can be different, and to some degree, you will usually get what you pay for, i.e. the brands/models with cheaper up-front cost, tend to have fewer settings options, fewer features, shorter longevity.
Thanks for the quick reply, I've had this cam for several years and used it mainly for security, but get animals on my driveway also. Up close pics are good but on the driveway about 20yds away they are awful at night.Thought maybe you knew of some setting that would help. Really love all the bells and whistles this cam has.

Latest posts