Gibbs Rifle Repro and Long Range Muzzle Loading

Wobblyshot1

I've always taken a fancy to these as they represent the epitome of muzzle loading shooting. Anyway, one came along at a more than fair price so I quickly snatched it up. This gun is by Pedersoli and would be similar to the Rigby muzzle loaders used by the Irish team in the famous Creedmoor Match of 1874 against the US team using Sharps and Remington rolling block breech loaders. I haven't shot it yet mainly because I'm still in the process of assembling what it takes to feed it. the rifle is pretty much intended for target work be it paper or metal gongs. A few specs: overall length is 52 3/8"; Weight is 11.68 lbs; 1:18 twist .45 caliber...The bore is "tight" and a sized .449 bullet just slips into the muzzle. The sights are by Lee Shaver. To ensure long life the stainless nipple has been replaced with one that is platinum lined. A few pics.... Hope to have a range report soon.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210503_121006.jpg
    20210503_121006.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210503_121424.jpg
    20210503_121424.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210503_121247.jpg
    20210503_121247.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 117

sun

Considering that these long range rifles need platinum nipples, I wonder where most folks find them available for sale.
They seem to be custom made but wonder if there's also a commercial source.
I also wonder why Pedersoli doesn't offer them for sale.
Some older threads mentioned that a man named Rick Weber in TN is a custom maker.
And perhaps Buffalo Arms sells some sizes.
One wouldn't think that a whole shooting discipline would rely on a cottage industry to provide such a necessary and critical part for a whole line of rifles and the sport of traditional long range muzzle loading.
Did the person who sold you the rifle tell you where he got his platinum nipple?
You bought a very nice gun and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Last edited:

Wobblyshot1

Considering that these long range rifles need platinum nipples, I wonder where most folks find them available for sale.
They seem to be custom made but wonder if there's also a commercial source.
I also wonder why Pedersoli doesn't offer them for sale.
Some older threads mentioned that a man named Rick Weber in TN is a custom maker.
And perhaps Buffalo Arms sells some sizes.
One wouldn't think that a whole shooting discipline would rely on a cottage industry to provide such a necessary and critical part for a whole line of rifles and the sport of traditional long range muzzle loading.
Did the person who sold you the rifle tell you where he got his platinum nipple?
You bought a very nice gun and I wish you the best of luck with it.
I got the nipple from Rick. He also lent me a mold that I'm going to try. The friend that sold me the rifle found a Pedersoli mold and a box of .449 bullets from Buffalo Arms, obviously meant for this rifle. He was handling an estate and knew these guns interested me. Back to the nipple, I don't understand either why Pedersoli doesn't offer them. Shooting heavy bullets and stout powder charges will burn out a regular nipple in no time. BTY the bullet in the photo is from Buffalo Arms. It's weighs in at 540 grains.

Hunter 257W

How does a nipple burn out? Does the flash hole erode larger and larger until you get too much gas coming out on the shooter? It's hard for me to believe that would happen fast at all considering how few shots a muzzle loader is capable of firing compared to cartridge guns. Not saying you guys don't know what you are talking about, just surprised. :)

Wobblyshot1

You're right 257. I guess erode would be a better choice of words. When accuracy lost is apparent then you'd maybe say the nipple was burnt out. The folks I know that shoot these things regularly have told me that this erosion to the point of noticeable loss of accuracy would be somewhere south of 20 shots with a steel nipple.

Hunter 257W

It's hard to imagine how that could affect accuracy? I the hole is clogging up so that ignition is erratic maybe so, but for the flash hole to enlarge and that cause a loss of accuracy I don't understand that. Also in 20 shots sounds hard to believe. Sounds like some of the old stories about how 220 Swifts would burn out barrels while 22-250s would last and last. :)

Latest posts