Getting old sucks

moondawg

When I hunted 10-15 yrs ago, I'd only hunt for about. 3 or 4 hrs max. 9:30 was as late as I usually stayed out. 10 am was really pushing it. I don't know how I'd fare now. Eventually I'd get hungry, and my desire to eat overrode my desire to hunt.

Having said that, I was mostly hunting in a tree stand or a box stand. If I were to be moving on the ground, it might be different.

Bone Collector

First cold front of the year and i was home by 9:30? Years past i wouldve sat all day today, just dont have the mojo this year i guess
I'm not old old, but I am getting there (47). it takes a toll on your body and it is just not as fun to sit there uncomfortable like it used to be. I got down at 9:30 too both Sat and Sunday. Saw 20+ turkeys and 0 deer on Saturday and a doe and two fawns on Sunday. Squirrel hunters all around me Sunday.. If they ain't moving, I ain't sitting there uncomfortable, I'm going home 😂

Madbowh

First cold front of the year and i was home by 9:30? Years past i wouldve sat all day today, just dont have the mojo this year i guess
It's rough but I wait for those days, the colder the better. Last year pulling in to one of my spots my truck said -8 stayed out all day, what a blast seen more deer and coyote than I did all year on that one day. If coyote hadn't been chasing I'd had a shot at a nice one @310yds. I still hunt those days even with a bow

OldFart

I hunted 10 hrs Saturday and 8 hrs Sunday, had to quit then cause I shot my buck. BTW, I was on an Outdoor Buddies hunt for antelope in Colorado. They took care of me like I was a king. Rode around in a pickup all day, had a special permit to shoot from a vehicle. Skinned and quartered my buck for me. Small buck but I'm proud of it, considering my physical shape and fact I will be 82 in December of this year

BSK

I hunted 10 hrs Saturday and 8 hrs Sunday, had to quit then cause I shot my buck. BTW, I was on an Outdoor Buddies hunt for antelope in Colorado. They took care of me like I was a king. Rode around in a pickup all day, had a special permit to shoot from a vehicle. Skinned and quartered my buck for me. Small buck but I'm proud of it, considering my physical shape and fact I will be 82 in December of this year
Sounds like a great trip!

Kmushrooman

82 they better treat you like a King.

Gravey

That's awesome! Glad you're still chasing them and fantastic they took care of you like that.

rem270

Congrats on the buck! Hope I'm still able to be out there at 82. Let me know if you make it to TN this deer season.

rem270

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on my hunts this year. My average time over 14 hunts is 2 hours, 43 mins. Usually first of Sept and most of Sept I only hunt til 8:30-9 in the mornings. Most of the time it's hot and I'm not real enthused to sit in the heat. This past weekend I sat 3 hrs, 4 mins Saturday morning and 3 hrs, 27 mins Sunday morning. I had family in this weekend and didn't get to hunt Saturday afternoon and got out there late Sunday afternoon. Starting this weekend I'll start sitting til 10-1030 and once mz and rifle comes in will be some long sits and some potentially all day.

BSK

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on my hunts this year. My average time over 14 hunts is 2 hours, 43 mins. Usually first of Sept and most of Sept I only hunt til 8:30-9 in the mornings. Most of the time it's hot and I'm not real enthused to sit in the heat. This past weekend I sat 3 hrs, 4 mins Saturday morning and 3 hrs, 27 mins Sunday morning. I had family in this weekend and didn't get to hunt Saturday afternoon and got out there late Sunday afternoon. Starting this weekend I'll start sitting til 10-1030 and once mz and rifle comes in will be some long sits and some potentially all day.
Yea, I dude who does data! You da' Man rem270!

We average 3.5 hours for morning hunts and 2.5 hours for afternoon hunts.

rem270

Yea, I dude who does data! You da' Man rem270!

We average 3.5 hours for morning hunts and 2.5 hours for afternoon hunts.
This is my first year tracking everything and I'm loving it. I have time in and out of stand, stand location, wind direction, deer seen in male and female columns, and a note tab where I plug in the time I see deer and species. I'd really love to create an app and put it on the market for $10-15 for yearly subscription! For the year I'm at 14 bucks and 25 does.

BSK

This is my first year tracking everything and I'm loving it. I have time in and out of stand, stand location, wind direction, deer seen in male and female columns, and a note tab where I plug in the time I see deer and species. I'd really love to create an app and put it on the market for $10-15 for yearly subscription! For the year I'm at 14 bucks and 25 does.
I wish I knew more about modern programming. I have programs for entering and calculating data, but they're all written in language so ancient no one would understand it and it runs on DOS! (written in dBase)

Collecting and analyzing data is not only fun, but it can also teach you a lot. The trick is knowing (or figuring out), WHAT data to look at. And that is part of the fun: figuring out what is important and useful.

kaizen leader

I hope to still be going strong when I'm in my 80's. So far at 74 I'm still doing it all. Tree stands, ladder stands, tent blind, ground blind, still hunt, etc. I have always had problems with the cold. Coming from Wisconsin and hunting when it was -20 TN is nothing. I still get loose body heat easily. I have an electric vest and as soon as I start loosing I turn it on. I can stay out there all day. I love being out there.

MrJim43

2-Step Enabled
Soon to be 80 and my get-up and go got up and just about has left. To many aches and pains to try to hunt in cold weather morning even though I've tried. Done pretty good up till about 76 and then its been down hill since then. I'll let you borrow my walking stick..............BEST OF LUCK TO THE OLD FOLKS...LOL

Last edited:

huntncoach

I stuck with it Friday and Saturday morning, but realized that I had left my cool weather gear at home and not at the lease, so I pulled out Saturday afternoon. I love to hunt, but being miserable in the stand would not have made for a good hunt.

Ski

Collecting and analyzing data is not only fun, but it can also teach you a lot. The trick is knowing (or figuring out), WHAT data to look at. And that is part of the fun: figuring out what is important and useful.

That's the fun part of it for me. Cracking the code, figuring it out. Finding a repeating pattern and pinpointing the driving factors accurately enough to reasonably predict the next cycle of the pattern. Luckily mature bucks never cease to stump me.

That's why I love this site. It's full of deer nerds 🤓

BSK

That's the fun part of it for me. Cracking the code, figuring it out. Finding a repeating pattern and pinpointing the driving factors accurately enough to reasonably predict the next cycle of the pattern. Luckily mature bucks never cease to stump me.

That's why I love this site. It's full of deer nerds 🤓
That's it exactly: "cracking the code."

Oh, and when you figure out the mature bucks, please let me know. They've had me stumped for my entire career. Every time I think I've got them figured out, they feed me a good dose of humble pie.