Geez I wish the season would open here!

Setterman

So all the pattern/gun threads would go away. Is there anyway to have them in their own separate forum where they don't clog up this one?

Yodel Dog

I would think they're turkey related so what's the problem? Check out "Serious Deer Hunting Talk", there's a bear hunting thread there! If deer and bear aren't your cup of tea, there's even one about buzzards! :D

deerchaser007

RussellvilleRob said:
What else is there to talk about? :)

We gettin pretty desparate for conversation...

What we need is a professional on here to talk about quality turkey management,trophy turkey hunting, lower limits, and prime turkey habitat!! :grin:

Setterman

No such thing as QTM, maybe non-jake shooting, but that is up to each person to decide that one.

I will laugh in anyones face who claims they scope spurs before killing a bird to make sure he is old enough.

I go back and forth on the limit thing, let's see how the harvests are this year, before diving into that one.

Turkeys can and do live anywhere, habitat is easy for turkeys.

luvtohunt

muddyboots said:
Noticed bradford pears bloomed out today here. Its time too hunt.

Yes it is, but to beat a dead horse....thanks to TWRA we get to wait another 1-1/2 weeks....awesome! Plus some a get a "free" day off work when season is not open (Good Friday). Kudos TWRA, that is some good planning!

muddyboots

luvtohunt said:
muddyboots said:
Noticed bradford pears bloomed out today here. Its time too hunt.

Yes it is, but to beat a dead horse....thanks to TWRA we get to wait another 1-1/2 weeks....awesome! Plus some a get a "free" day off work when season is not open (Good Friday). Kudos TWRA, that is some good planning!

Yea that does blow.

RAFI

Setterman said:
So all the pattern/gun threads would go away. Is there anyway to have them in their own separate forum where they don't clog up this one?

Why do you care if people want to talk about thier patterns?don't read it if you don't want to.I don't see what the big deal is . :crazy:

RussellvilleRob

Setterman said:
No such thing as QTM, maybe non-jake shooting, but that is up to each person to decide that one.

I will laugh in anyones face who claims they scope spurs before killing a bird to make sure he is old enough.

I go back and forth on the limit thing, let's see how the harvests are this year, before diving into that one.

Just joking man... Just trying to change the subject from guns and patterns like someone suggested...hahahaa

megalomaniac

I'm pretty good at telling 2 yr old birds from 3+ yr old birds before I shoot. Beyond 3 it's over my head unless I find a bird that looks 25 lbs plus.

And yes, I HAVE scoped spurs before shooting occasionally- it's actually quite doable in open cow pastures under 40 yards with 8x binocs.

But the real way to practice QTM is to never kill more than 50% of your available longbeards.

deerchaser007

Setterman said:

You can laugh,. but my brother works with a guy that scoped a bird and decided to shoot after that. His buddy was on the other side of a large field and didn't shoot it,. the bird came into the other side he was on and after using his scope,. knew to shoot it. His buddy came up and asked why he shot that jake,.. he told him,. this ain't no jake. The bird had 1 7/8 spurs, 19 lbs, with a 4.5 inch beard. Beard rot!!
I had a freind that done the same last year,.. shot a bird with beard rot but had 1 1/2 spurs. Said if it were not for the bino's he had with him,.. he probably would not have shot.
Maybe we need a beard rot topic!! :grin:

I worked with a guy last year that would disagree on the QTM. Him and his family are die hard turkey hunters,. and thats all they hunt. They work their farm for turkey only,.. just as we deer hunters do for deer.He food plots with chufa and clover,.. established nesting cover with a large portion of the property in warm season grasses, plants corn and puts out corn for the turkey to fatten up, you name it ,. he does it for turkey. Your right,. turkey can survive anywere,. but like he told me,. they flourish when you provide them with everything they need,.. he got the pics to prove it also.

Andy S.

deerchaser007 said:
Setterman said:

You can laugh,. but my brother works with a guy that scoped a bird and decided to shoot after that. His buddy was on the other side of a large field and didn't shoot it,. the bird came into the other side he was on and after using his scope,. knew to shoot it. His buddy came up and asked why he shot that jake,.. he told him,. this ain't no jake. The bird had 1 7/8 spurs, 19 lbs, with a 4.5 inch beard. Beard rot!!
I had a freind that done the same last year,.. shot a bird with beard rot but had 1 1/2 spurs. Said if it were not for the bino's he had with him,.. he probably would not have shot.
Maybe we need a beard rot topic!! :grin:

I worked with a guy last year that would disagree on the QTM. Him and his family are die hard turkey hunters,. and thats all they hunt. They work their farm for turkey only,.. just as we deer hunters do for deer.He food plots with chufa and clover,.. established nesting cover with a large portion of the property in warm season grasses, plants corn and puts out corn for the turkey to fatten up, you name it ,. he does it for turkey. Your right,. turkey can survive anywere,. but like he told me,. they flourish when you provide them with everything they need,.. he got the pics to prove it also.

I take it these birds were not strutting??? If so, the full fan would have been a dead give away he was no jake. ;)

Latest posts