Gardepro T5NG review.

Mr.Bro

Really wanted to like this camera.
Batteries had a tight door over them. No more batteries coming loose like on some older Coverts.
Controls were crisp with a noticeable click. Very easy set up
Really liked the dark drab color.
Night flash was excellent.
Good day pics.
The bad.
Videos were stop and go.
Audio was terrible.
Speed was very slow. Walking straight toward it and first frame I was only 15 feet in front of it.
Good news
Landon at TrailcamPro was awesome
Upgrade to an HP5 Browning. Pay the difference and Browning is already shipped. Less than an hour.
RA number to send GardePro back is on the way.
Great customer service.

Attachments

• 20230805_154651.jpg
    20230805_154651.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 35

TheLBLman

So far have only used it in picture mode and no complaints. Night pics are clear & bright.
Same here.
If running video, the Browning HP5 (and HP4) are top-notch.
But may be splitting hairs with pics on these Gardepros vs Brownings.

Comes down to "value" for the price point.
Brownings cost more, so I expect them to be overall better performers
than something costing half their price.

Reconyx costs 2 to 3 times the price of a comparable Browning.
Few believe they are twice as good, although undoubtedly better?

Mr. Bro, the single Gardepro you tried was possibly just a "lemon".

Getting a defective cam can happen with any brand, including Reconyx & Browning.
Last year I obtained 4 Browning Ridgelines, and 3 of them were majorly defective,
on top of eating batteries, 16 at a time.

Mr.Bro

Same here.
If running video, the Browning HP5 (and HP4) are top-notch.
But may be splitting hairs with pics on these Gardepros vs Brownings.

Comes down to "value" for the price point.
Brownings cost more, so I expect them to be overall better performers
than something costing half their price.

Reconyx costs 2 to 3 times the price of a comparable Browning.
Few believe they are twice as good, although undoubtedly better?

Mr. Bro, the single Gardepro you tried was possibly just a "lemon".

Getting a defective cam can happen with any brand, including Reconyx & Browning.
Last year I obtained 4 Browning Ridgelines, and 3 of them were majorly defective,
on top of eating batteries, 16 at a time.
May have been a lemon but to late to be messing around with another one.
Got 8 Brownings and never had a lemon.
Oh yeah my new HP5 will be here tomorrow. Great service. Talked to Trailcampro mid morning Tuesday and New Browning will be here Thursday.

BSK

May have been a lemon but to late to be messing around with another one.
Oh yeah my new HP5 will be here tomorrow. Great service. Talked to Trailcampro mid morning Tuesday and New Browning will be here Thursday.
They are the bomb!

TheLBLman

Oh yeah my new HP5 will be here tomorrow.
The Browning HP5 is likely the very best value currently available for those running in video.
I still more often prefer still pics (which it does a great job with as well).

Speaking of lemons, they happen with every brand.
Just more often with some brands than others,
and any brand can suddenly release a "new" version with poor engineering and even worse quality control.

Until this past Fall, I'd only had one Browning "lemon" (which was a Dark Ops several years ago, Browning replaced it, all was well).

Then "BANG" (Oct '22), received 4 new Browning cell cams, and 3 of 4 were lemons, which would completely stop working after only a few days to a couple weeks when placed afield (along with other problematic issues). Yet one of the 4 worked pretty much as expected.

Despite those 3 of 4 being lemons, I still believe Browning may be the overall best bet & best value for most trail cam users & applications.

Ski

Despite those 3 of 4 being lemons, I still believe Browning may be the overall best bet & best value for most trail cam users & applications.

Browning & Bushnell are the only brands that come to mind that I've not had trouble with yet.

I've wondered how often electrical storms cause camera failures. Doesn't have to be a direct strike. Any electrical surge within relative proximity could cause a fragile circuit or component to fail. A lot of my cams are strapped to trees on ridge tops. It's almost like daring nature to get it. No idea how often or if it even happens, but I've wondered if sometimes we blame a camera when it could be lightning.

TheLBLman

Browning & Bushnell are the only brands that come to mind that I've not had trouble with yet.

Bushnells were my "go-to" brand before Browning.
I really like Bushnell's field-scan programming, and they're generally decent cams, but believe they're relatively over-priced.
Last one I bought (which was their most expensive model) died after 13 months,
and I'm absolutely positive had nothing to do with lightning.
Just sub-par components.

I've wondered how often electrical storms cause camera failures. . . . . A lot of my cams are strapped to trees on ridge tops. It's almost like daring nature to get it.
I doubt I've ever had this happen.
I believe there would generally be evidence of a close-by lightning strike, timed along with that cam's failure. In most cases, I believe the lightning would have to hit the tree to which the cam is attached, and even then, the typical cam has some degree of insulation (being housed mostly in plastic).

That said, most of my Browning cams have steel mounting brackets (which another aspect I like better about them compared to many other brands using plastic).

Latest posts