Gap on String Tamer

UTGrad

How much of a gap should there be from the string to the string tamer. They set mine up pretty firm with the string tamer and I am going to tune it to where it barely touches. I think it is pressing too hard on the string.

Hoss

Try barely touching. Try a small gap (thickness of a credit card). Try touching more firmly. See which one works the best for you. Not all the String Suppressors work the same. Heck, it's archery play with it!

LCU

UTgrad, you should put on a HSS, climb a tree with your climber, take a dozen arrows, range a target, shoot, miss, hit, miss, hit etc.
Do this a hundred times.
Then see where you are with this bow stuff.

You will questions yourself on everything until you do this.

UTGrad

Don't have a climber yet, but that will probably be this summer. I have shot some good groups, but I am having a tougher time drawing my bow at 60#. I was having to cheat today, so I need to let my muscles rest. Any exercises I can do?

Radar

UTGrad said:
Don't have a climber yet, but that will probably be this summer. I have shot some good groups, but I am having a tougher time drawing my bow at 60#. I was having to cheat today, so I need to let my muscles rest. Any exercises I can do?

I suggest practice shooting 12 arrows every other day or so until you build up your strength . If you practice when you are tired , you practice bad habits .
I have been lifting weights for years . I suggest doing lat pulldowns , rows to build up your back muscles , shoulder presses , and side laterals for shoulders , and tricep push downs , dumbell kickbacks , and tricep extensions to isolate the muscles used for drawing and holding a bow . Do this 3 times a week .
Or you cold just do pushups and pullups if you don't have access to equipment . :)

UTGrad

Radar said:
UTGrad said:

I suggest practice shooting 12 arrows every other day or so until you build up your strength . If you practice when you are tired , you practice bad habits .
I have been lifting weights for years . I suggest doing lat pulldowns , rows to build up your back muscles , shoulder presses , and side laterals for shoulders , and tricep push downs , dumbell kickbacks , and tricep extensions to isolate the muscles used for drawing and holding a bow . Do this 3 times a week .
Or you cold just do pushups and pullups if you don't have access to equipment . :)

Thanks...I was really struggling to draw my new bow at 60# today since I shot it a bunch yesterday. I had to cheat quite a bit. I am going to follow your plan to build up more strength.

Yank

Yeah, Radar's right. don't over do it as it wont make you any better. I shoot with a hard back stop and know real quick when I start to get tired, If I miss, I break arrows, and at five bucks a pop it starts hurting my wallet in a hurry. :)

I'll tell you what I do when it's winter and I don't get to shoot. I have two older bows that hang in my garage and it only takes a few mins a day to go out and draw one of them thirty to forty times a side. It's a pretty good workout in itself. I'd say you could find an older bow around for little of nothing. :)

And to be honest, I don't have a clue about the string tamer?? :blush:

UTGrad

It's made by Norway Industries, same people that make Dura Vanes. It is a string suppressor system that brings the string back to its resting place after the shot. It reduces noise, hand shock, and prevents the string from slapping a shooters wrist. Some people remove their string silencers when they install one.

LCU

UTGrad said:

Drawing a 60# Drenalin is not a hard pull at all. It's so easy the 10 year old neighbor kid easily shoots mine.

I get tired of shooting a 70# bow,because I pratice shooting a lot,and is why I shoot it at 60#.

If this bow is that difficult to draw at 60#, you may have some type of a problem with this bow.

Did you shoot other bows at 60# and if so were they also difficult to draw?

NateUK

For somebody that isn't used to pulling back a bow, it can be difficult.
Those muscles in the back aren't used to the motion and force applied to them.
Just practice as others above have said and you'll be fine.

UTGrad

LCU said:
UTGrad said:

Drawing a 60# Drenalin is not a hard pull at all. It's so easy the 10 year old neighbor kid easily shoots mine.

I get tired of shooting a 70# bow,because I pratice shooting a lot,and is why I shoot it at 60#.

If this bow is that difficult to draw at 60#, you may have some type of a problem with this bow.

Did you shoot other bows at 60# and if so were they also difficult to draw?

Well, I didn't have much problem at all drawing my Parker at 60# when I shot it a few times. I just haven't built my muscles up to shoot alot at 60#.

Latest posts