Gallatin Steam Plant Help

Back Home

I've never fished it before even though I live nearby. I always hear nice things about it but have nowhere to start and no clue what to fish with. I'd love to catch some crappie or stripers today. We have a boat. Anyone have any advice?

jakeway

I fish it a fair amount for skipjack. I also occasionally catch saugers, stripers, and white bass. I use a flyrod with sinktip line and Clouser Minnows or Wooly Buggers. White/Chartreuse, White/pink/ white/blue, or pure yugoe for colors. If you use spinning gear, use a colored jig with white or yellow curly tails.

I was there on Dec 31 and it stunk. The best fishing is when the main lake channel is in the upper 30s and the discharge is 60. Last time the main lake was 45 and the discharge was 57. Not enough of a temperature differential to attact the fish. That was before the recent cold snap, but we're warming up again.

JimFromTN

Don't know much about crappie but if the strippers are running, you can throw small grubs and catch skip jack and then rig them on a heavy rod for strippers.

MidTennFisher

The Tilapia are in there thick this time of year since they cannot survive the cold water temps. I'm headed there Saturday morning for rockfish in the morning, later on I'll try for Tilapia and whatever else may bite. I've caught Tilapia there before, they're quite plentiful.

THey're mostly on the left side, looking into the canal, and in deeper water. Trout Magnets work great for them!

CamoGator

Anyone had success there as of late? I have never fished there but heard a lot about it. I'm dying to get out and fish. If I decide to go I'll be in a 'yak so looks like a good paddle from the nearest ramp for me.

MidTennFisher

CamoGator said:
Anyone had success there as of late? I have never fished there but heard a lot about it. I'm dying to get out and fish. If I decide to go I'll be in a 'yak so looks like a good paddle from the nearest ramp for me.

Put in at Coles Ferry ramp. That's where us 'yakkers put in and it's about a 10 minute paddle to get there.