G5

Lt.Dan

If you "lost" the deer, how do you know they didn't open, just curious
One I am guessing. Absolutely no blood trail. The other I actually saw the arrow sticking out of the deer (no complete pass through) as it ran off. Again Absolutely no blood. All of the other deer I had shot and recovered with mechanical broadheads left massive blood trails and the arrows always passed completely through. And 2 such deer were 43 yard shots. For me, losing 2 deer is unacceptable. If it was because of something I can change (going to fixed blades) then that's what I do.

Harold Money jr

My .02 worth. I've never hunted with an expandable so I can't give a first hand opinion on those. I have used and killed deer with thunderhead 3 blades, G5 magnum, Simmons land sharks, old satellites and magnus buzz cuts and stingers. The 3 blade replaceable heads killed em fine however they RUN to about 70yds and fall over dead. With the cut on contact they usually WALK about 25yds and fall over. I don't really think one brand over another matters that much over another but, my preference is cut on contact. Also it's been my experience that a larger cut is not that much better. 1 1/8" does just fine. They stay on their feet the same 9 seconds whether it's 2" or 1 1/8". My opinion..

SinningSaint33

mechanicals work until they don't. Several people I know, shoot mechanicals because they "shoot the same as a field point(LIE). They don't want to put in the time to tune a cut on contact. I've got my bow driving tacks with G5 montecs. But I'm about to order some new shafts and heads and push for 19-25% FOC and just tune, tune, tune until I get them flying straight.

Another thing, shot distance. At a foam target I'm 100% confident in shooting 30+ yards. At an animal 30 yards away, they have more than enough time to react to the shot. I don't plan on shooting at an animal more than 30 yards away. Really, beyond about 25 yards no matter how perfect my form and patience is, the outcome is out of my hands and mostly based on that animal reacts to the sound of my bow firing.