Freeze Damage

DaveB

Between -1 and ice storms our yard has taken a pretty hard beating. These are not routine die-backs.
1. Looks like every azalea is dead.
2. All the monkey grass is dead. The one bright spot.
3. The clematis are dead. Early buds are dead.
4. 20 foot tall pine is 3/4 dead no sign of bag worms
5. New growth on the hydrangeas is dead.
6. The wax-leaf perennials are dead, every last one, some of which are huge.

Bunch of other evergreen plants that have never lost their leaves are just sticks and tiny new growth is dead.
This holds true for every similar plant in my neighborhood.

At least the daffodils are sprouting. They show zero signs of damage.

Carlos

The entire row of 16 Leyland Cypress look to be dead. We planted them when we moved in back in 2011. They're about 25ft tall, and have been a great privacy screen, I sure hope they aren't all dead!

DaveB

The Leylands are dying all over my community. I seem to recall they had a lifespan of less than 25 years, which I thought then was just foolishness. Mine was planted in mid-1990's.

I am not cutting a thing until I am positive death has claimed them. And I for sure will not plant any replacements, What bothers me is the azaleas. I am not an azalea fan but for about two weeks out of the year they knock your socks off.

DaveB

We have one rose bush and one Raspberry plant sprouting like it was spring.

One clematis has recovered. Now to see if I can match last years monster blossoms. (liquid miracle-gro now and at least every 2-3 weeks. I use the Walmart substitute)

Looks to me like the day lillies-none of which I like-have survived.

One azalea has tried to sprout but looks real poorly. Wife made a face when she saw it, not a good sign.

WTM

monkey grass, all of the roses i bought for my wife over the years, basically anything in a pot on the pool deck.

the stinking bradford pears made it though.

DaveB

My Wife loves Peonies. We have a bunch. Some definitely survived. Others look very bad.

The perennials that never lose their leaves and this time they did, are trying to grow new stuff. Older branches/twigs are showing zip. I want o remove, wife is a little reluctant. I saw her sharpening a knife....

DaveB

Sure about that monkey grass? Nuke weapon couldn't hurt it
That is what I thought. So far, no sign at all of re-growth.

We had a white Clematis that was a fav of my Wife. It is definitely dead.

The wind we had last week shoulda taken out most of the bradford trees---Got a lot of them in the neighborhood.

DaveB

Well, my Clematis have responded to generous helpings of Miracle-Grow and the Eastern Sky sunshine.
Clematis_Large.JPG

Do not know why the color is so washed out.

Have an interesting few eye confusing look like doubles but they are not. Lower right corner

Clematis Doubles.JPG

DaveB

Next year I'm gonna hang 80 pound mono with stick ladders out the upper windows and see how high they will go.

Latest posts