Vine Borer Damage?

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Seems like I have problems every year with my 1st planting. 2nd planting is usually not so bad. You can very carefully cut the vine open dig the sucker out. Then cover the vine with more dirt.
They come from a moth that lays eggs at the base of your plant. The eggs hatch and the baby worms get in the vine.

pressfit

You can beat them with pestacides.. several years ago when I was trying to grow a 1000 pound pumpkin I bought special traps for them with a pheremone in the trap.. they worked pretty good IIRC..

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
pressfit said:
You can beat them with pestacides.. several years ago when I was trying to grow a 1000 pound pumpkin I bought special traps for them with a pheremone in the trap.. they worked pretty good IIRC..
Sounds like a good route that I have not tried. I know the moths are the beginning of the cycle. Do you know where you bought the traps ?? I would like to try them next year.

pressfit

WestTn Huntin'man said:
pressfit said:
Sounds like a good route that I have not tried. I know the moths are the beginning of the cycle. Do you know where you bought the traps ?? I would like to try them next year.
here ya go! http://www.greatlakesipm.com/readytousekits.html

lockandloaded

Yes my in laws got wiped out this year by borers. No noticed two of my plants are all bored through at the base. Not a good feeling

BlountArrow

Ever heard of putting a pin/needle through the base of the stalk anyone? My uncle says you can do this and prevent the plant from dying once borers enter. I'm skeptical on that one.

chunkandwind

Replied to your PM, BlountArrow. You can definitely use pins to kill the larvae. It causes much less stress to the plant than cutting into the plant and removing.

BlountArrow

pressfit said:
WestTn Huntin'man said:
pressfit said:
here ya go! http://www.greatlakesipm.com/readytousekits.html

Well, I just purchased (2) traps for both my gardens so I'll let you know how it works. I'm a little late I realize, but I went ahead and did a second planting so hopefully I can protect these or just use it next year and buy more lure, etc.

Crosshairy

I think this is what happened to my spaghetti squash, but I didn't know that's what it was. The whole thing just started looking sick all of a sudden. I'll have to go inspect the bases.