Fox Squirrel Down!

Tenntrapper

I've noticed that fox squirrels and gray squirrels are seldom found in the same Woods in close proximity. They each seem to stick to their own neighborhood. Also fox squirrels seem to spend more time on the ground covering distance.
I think, generally speaking, that fox squirrels prefer "edges"...where woods meet a field. I see them often here out in pastures and hay fields.
That said, the property I hunt at the lake is full of them...and no fields there.
I've also noticed that they tend to sleep in compared to gray squirrels. Hunt grays at first light, fox a little later....say around 10..ish.

J.A.F.O.

I think, generally speaking, that fox squirrels prefer "edges"...where woods meet a field. I see them often here out in pastures and hay fields.
That said, the property I hunt at the lake is full of them...and no fields there.
I've also noticed that they tend to sleep in compared to gray squirrels. Hunt grays at first light, fox a little later....say around 10..ish.
Yes Yes and Yes to all these. Man knows his foxes.
I'll post a pic of one I found on the farm Saturday. About 20 yds in the timber from the field,lots of old hickory trees and oaks and at around 1030/11.

IMG_0093.png

Iglow

Another difference is when a dog trees them, fox squirrels just flatten out on the tree and will let you walk right up and shoot them. (One of the reasons I don't shoot them often) but half the time a gray squirrel will do everything he can to hide from you and the other half he'll take off for his hole and risk everything to get there! The hardest shotgun target I know of besides doves after they have been shot at in a field is timbering gray squirrels. Unless you catch them pausing to jump from one tree to another they are in herky jerky running motion nonstop. They've left me with an empty gun and six burnt hulls many,many times.

Gravey

My uncle has 3 mounted and he passed away 8 years ago. Was at his house a few weeks back visiting my aunt and she told me to go look for something in the walk in attic. Bunch of hanging rods with clothes on each side and as I was sliding them to the side to look behind them those dang mounted fox squirrels were right there in my face. Admittedly I jumped as they caught me off guard and for a second I was thinking live squirrels. 😂

Latest posts