Forestry mulching?

Boll Weevil

Anyone know ((roughly) $/hour and how many hours/acre to mulch/grind stumps and slash? Not talking about anything super thick or gnarly...a skidsteer with a mulching head would work fine.

megalomaniac

You talking about cleaning up after a logging operation?

The forestry mulchers aren't that great for big saw log stumps... not great at all. Now reclaiming fields taken over by trees in the 4-8in diameter range... there's nothing that compares.

Going rate for an excellent operator/ machine is going to be in the $150 to $200 per hour range depending on the size of his machine. Most require 4-8h minimum, and will work around 12 hours per day

Boll Weevil

Thinking this type setup.
1) I had my roads widened and 2) there's a few areas coming off draglines where the skidder had to turn real wide to get on the main road back to the log deck. They're only 1/4 to maybe 1/2 acre but would make great little clover patches and they're tucked way back in the timber. I've got 2 quotes so far; $175/hr and $225-250/hr.

Would something like this handle pine stumps?

1694621036039.png

DoubleRidge

Hired one to reclaim overgrown field which had head high briars with saplings and one sycamore stump....around three acres total.
He runs between $150 to $200 per hour and he was there little less than half day....ground the stump to subsoil and cleared the three acres and it was $700...I wouldn't think a pine stump would be any trouble....but every stump obviously slows them down and consumes run time.

Gobble4me757

Have a guy in south bama doing some field clearing for me. It's 200$ an hour but have two 1.5ish acre fields I'm having him cut. He said the best time to do it is in late December when the sap is in the roots or somethin…makes it easier and faster to cut stuff and all. I'm waiting till then to do it as I just need it done before next season.

wildlifefarmer

1) I had my roads widened and 2) there's a few areas coming off draglines where the skidder had to turn real wide to get on the main road back to the log deck. They're only 1/4 to maybe 1/2 acre but would make great little clover patches and they're tucked way back in the timber. I've got 2 quotes so far; $175/hr and $225-250/hr.

View attachment 194996
Yes, this will take care of pines or any other soft wood. Problem comes into play when you start hitting the dirt and rocks dulling the teeth. The teeth aren't cheap!! To operate this HP machine with mulcher, a 12 hour day will consume approximately 15 gallons per day when running proper rpm. We run one our place and it does an amazing job but the hardwood stumps are tough.

TX300mag

Yes, this will take care of pines or any other soft wood. Problem comes into play when you start hitting the dirt and rocks dulling the teeth. The teeth aren't cheap!! To operate this HP machine with mulcher, a 12 hour day will consume approximately 15 gallons per day when running proper rpm. We run one our place and it does an amazing job but the hardwood stumps are tough.
That's amazing. My machine uses 3 gallons/hr and I thought that was great.

DeerCamp

View attachment 194996
It'll handle the stumps, but the time its going to take it the issue. Then in 5 years you are going to have holes everywhere.

You'd be much better off bringing in a dozer with a stump buster or a trackhoe and doing it the right way.

I've run one of these (albeit bigger) but I'm not an expert.

Gobble4me757

I just paid $4750 for mine for 13 hours over two days to clear out about 4 acres of decent sized trees/pines etc. 200$ an hour for the Mulcher and 150$ an hour for the dozier. 100$ mobilizing fee as they came from an hour away. If you are doing food plots, I would go with the dozier and like deer camp said, do it the right way. Very happy with my results.

Last edited:

Latest posts